Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Mineral Oil/Vegetable Oil for BM's

I have never taken oils as described for BM's but have, coincidentally, found that olives (black, sundried (the crinkly ones) in olive oil have been very beneficial in that regard.

I eat 6-8 olives with dinner every night. I suspect it has more to do with the oil lubing things up than the olives themselves.

Bulk products such as Metamucil, Benefiber, etc. do not increase stool lubrication. They work by stimulating increased peristalsis (muscle movement of the large intestine) which then moves stool more quickly through the large intestine, so less water is absorbed from the stool. It does not work as a laxative and make make an impaction worse.

(KLD)
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
    Regular use of oral oils such as mineral oil or castor oil are not advisable, as they can interfere with your bowel's ability to absorb fat soluable vitamins (A, D, E, K) from your foods. Occasional (such as 1-2X monthly) use for severe constipation is OK.
    (KLD)
    Do vegetable oils/cooking oils/nut oils block vitamin absorption?

Popcorn works for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Brent K View Post
    Popcorn works for me.
    No, but mineral oil and castor oil do.

(KLD)
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
    No, but mineral oil and castor oil do.

(KLD)
    I've tried different foods and supplements and non have worked better than popcorn in keeping constipation away.
    Last edited by Brent K; 10-17-2017 at 01:22 AM.