Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 16

Thread: Mineral Oil/Vegetable Oil for BM's

  1. #1

    Mineral Oil/Vegetable Oil for BM's

    How many drink mineral oil or vegetable oil to assist in your bowel regimen and how much and how often do you take it?
    Also, are there serious concerns to taking it regularly?

    I've done this on a few occasions and just recently to get unplugged... I discovered mixing it with juice (cranberry) makes it easier to consume.

  2. #2
    Regular use of oral oils such as mineral oil or castor oil are not advisable, as they can interfere with your bowel's ability to absorb fat soluable vitamins (A, D, E, K) from your foods. Occasional (such as 1-2X monthly) use for severe constipation is OK.

    Medicinal oils like this can be made a little more palatable by mixing in an acidic juice such as orange or cranberry, and adding just a pinch of baking soda, which helps the oil emulsify in the juice.

    (KLD)
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

  3. #3
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott C4/5 View Post
    How many drink mineral oil or vegetable oil to assist in your bowel regimen and how much and how often do you take it?
    Also, are there serious concerns to taking it regularly?
    I've done this on a few occasions and just recently to get unplugged... I discovered mixing it with juice (cranberry) makes it easier to consume.
    Have you tried hummus in your diet? I use it as my spread of choice.
    Hummus and jam, hummus and vegemite, hummus with veges, hummus on toast with a poached egg for breakfast, hummus as a side dish, hummus on its own. Luvly stuff. Good protein for your skin etc. Chick pea water from the making of my hummus is used in my breadmaking, as egg substitute in mayonnaise (nice ); no waste.
    You get the picture?
    No siree, no butter for me.

  4. #4
    Does vegetable oil/olive oil block absorption as well? Considering its part of the food making process anyway? I also read that coconut oil aids in nutrition absorption.
    Health information is always confusing with all the contradictions out there.

    Never tried hummus. Curious about it, but that sort of food isn't my ordinary go-to.

    Thanks...

  5. #5
    A tablespoon of vegetable oil has about 120 calories in it. Have you tried a soluble fiber supplement such as Benefiber? It becomes gel-like in the digestive track and helps poop to slide along.
    You will find a guide to preserving shoulder function @
    http://www.rstce.pitt.edu/RSTCE_Reso...imb_Injury.pdf

    See my personal webpage @
    http://cccforum55.freehostia.com/

  6. #6
    What is the consistency of your stool? Firm but no lumps? Do you use a stool softener? suppository? Enemeez

    CWO
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

  7. #7
    I recently had a dryer/hard stool that caused constipation that required multiple suppositories/Enemeez/Senna and Miralax. However my stool is not normally this way. Up until 3 months ago, I didn't have many bowel issues (for SCI). My digestive system no longer seems to have active peristaltic movement in the last few feet of the bowel. Before, I rarely required anything more than a manual extraction of stool that had already moved down. I'm just trying to find a way back to my previous bowel routine.

  8. #8
    Senior Member ChesBay's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Location
    Coastal Virginia
    Posts
    1,457
    Quote Originally Posted by SCIfor55yrs. View Post
    A tablespoon of vegetable oil has about 120 calories in it. Have you tried a soluble fiber supplement such as Benefiber? It becomes gel-like in the digestive track and helps poop to slide along.
    My doctor recently recommended Benefiber. I have been easing it in to my routine and I think it’s going to help out quite a bit.

  9. #9
    Hi Scott. Hummus is easy and cheap to make. It stores well and can be added to with options like sundried tomato (my favourite) or capsicum, whatever.
    I make a large batch at a time and weight the balance in zip bags then freeze for use later.
    All I use is 3 cups of dried beans (soaked then cooked ), Tahini (optional), salt, olive oil, lemon juice (or grapefruit - it is subtly sweeter), Cummin and a food processor - a wand for smaller amounts.
    Of course you can buy it too but that may have preservatives etc in it. I trust my kitchen more than I do a food processing factory.

    Benefiber. I understand this to be a natural fiber supplement. It would be beneficial when bunged up but it seems to me to be putting the cart before the horse.
    I know that there is no simple solution sometimes, though would it be better to minimise the amount of processed food in our diet and increase fibre through cooking and/or eating natural raw foods?
    Apples are a great way of keeping the exit matter more regular and soft. Increase vegetable intake, especially leafy greens.
    We know that stodge will bung us up very quickly.

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by slow_runner View Post
    Hi Scott. Hummus is easy and cheap to make. It stores well and can be added to with options like sundried tomato (my favourite) or capsicum, whatever.
    I make a large batch at a time and weight the balance in zip bags then freeze for use later.
    All I use is 3 cups of dried beans (soaked then cooked ), Tahini (optional), salt, olive oil, lemon juice (or grapefruit - it is subtly sweeter), Cummin and a food processor - a wand for smaller amounts.
    Of course you can buy it too but that may have preservatives etc in it. I trust my kitchen more than I do a food processing factory.

    Benefiber. I understand this to be a natural fiber supplement. It would be beneficial when bunged up but it seems to me to be putting the cart before the horse.
    I know that there is no simple solution sometimes, though would it be better to minimise the amount of processed food in our diet and increase fibre through cooking and/or eating natural raw foods?
    Apples are a great way of keeping the exit matter more regular and soft. Increase vegetable intake, especially leafy greens.
    We know that stodge will bung us up very quickly.
    I may try the hummus... sounds like a good topping for a tortilla chip, but I'll start with a pre-made brand.

Similar Threads

  1. Vegetable Gardening
    By Danine in forum Food
    Replies: 65
    Last Post: 03-21-2011, 12:51 PM
  2. Vegetable Enzymes
    By PN in forum Food
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 08-29-2009, 08:55 PM
  3. mineral oil and stool softener
    By crags in forum Care
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 09-24-2003, 07:10 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •