Thread: Son Cannot Find Pain Free Cushion W?o Having Skin Breakdowns

Son Cannot Find Pain Free Cushion W?o Having Skin Breakdowns

My Son Cannot Find Pain Free Cushion without having skin breakdowns. My son C6 12 years post was using J2 cushion but kept getting a pressure on his seat. Went to pressure mapping & they suggested Roho Hybrid cushion. It has the firmness so he can transfer and the air for the pressure. He did get a pressure sore on his coxyx from it but he was getting pressure sores from the other cushion. Then he found the Roho Hybrid Smart Check and we that would solve the problem but now he is getting like a corn on the spot, the coxyx, where the pressure sore was. He has pain with it and has to go to doctor to get cut/scraped off. He had a another pressure mapping & it did show a narrow spot that there is no pressure but the cushion is not that sensitive to let us know when it goes out of that spot. He is very thin and tall so not much padding on seat plus he's a guy and they usually have very little padding in that area. Any suggestions what we can do?
    Thanks in advance,
    Sheila Connell

He does weight shifts every 15 minutes and weight releases ( if possible) every hour?
    CWO
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

What kind of a wheelchair does he use? Has someone taken a look at his positioning in the chair? Maybe there are some tweaks of the chair that might help with pressure.

The Roho Smart Check isn't 100% foolproof. It is a good idea to have his cushion prescriber check the pressure by doing a manual hand check and balance that with the Smart Check readings.

What types of weight shifts does he do?

Yes, he does weight shifts by putting his hands on the side of the cushion and lifting himself off the cushion. At least that's how I think he does them as I see him doing that often.

You may be on to something. The dump (is that the angle of where the cushion sits) of the chair may be an issue. I believe he did not have problems until he got a new chair in ordered Nov 2015, received Jan 2016. I will have to check and see if I have notes about when these issues started. But maybe it's not that because when they pressure mapped him I assume they did it in the chair and that would account for the dump.
    Any other suggestions than the dump? He has a Ti-Lite rigid ZRA?

Quote Originally Posted by booksbegone2002 View Post
    You may be on to something. The dump (is that the angle of where the cushion sits) of the chair may be an issue. I believe he did not have problems until he got a new chair in ordered Nov 2015, received Jan 2016. I will have to check and see if I have notes about when these issues started. But maybe it's not that because when they pressure mapped him I assume they did it in the chair and that would account for the dump.
    Any other suggestions than the dump? He has a Ti-Lite rigid ZRA?
    At c/6, those kinds of weight shifts are pretty tough on the shoulders, especially over time. To get enough relief he has to sustain a lifted position for more than a few seconds or even more than a minute. He might want to experiment with other methods, side leaning, or laying over with his chest to his knees. He may need assistance with these types of pressure relief movements to get adequate relief.