Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Swelling on butt

Swelling on butt

I am having the cold sweats and my tailbone area is swollen! never happened before, what could it be? I got a new chair that tilts and has a different back which i feel doesnt allow me to get my butt back as far as it should. But then why no pressre spot? I'm using my old chair and getting off it as much as possible. should I use a cold pack? Could it be something internal?
    Embrace uncertainty. Hard problems rarely have easy solutions. Jonah Lehrer

Quote Originally Posted by leschinsky View Post
    I am having the cold sweats and my tailbone area is swollen! never happened before, what could it be? I got a new chair that tilts and has a different back which i feel doesnt allow me to get my butt back as far as it should. But then why no pressre spot? I'm using my old chair and getting off it as much as possible. should I use a cold pack? Could it be something internal?
    Confused with your description. So above your bony prominence (coccyx) it is swollen, red, warm etc (cardinal signs of inflammation)? How long has this been going on? Was there a sore there previously?

I would absolutely get it checked out. If it's anything like what I experienced (knock on wood it's not and that it's nothing at all), yes, it could be something very bad internally. I had a poorly healed IT pressure sore abscess all the way down to my pelvis, infect the bone, and has effectively ruined my life right now and left me with a stage 4 wound that failed a first flap surgery. I'll be having another one soon and losing my remaining left leg because of it.

Just get it checked out, they may want to contrast image it. Don't put it off. I hope it's nothing.

I had an issue with my backside and my spine with my new TiLite chair. I had gotten a new Roho hard back with the chair. I had to get rid of the hard back and go with the velcro adjustable because I was getting a swollen spot on my spine and my hands were going numb.

When I had my cushion mapped I had to adjust the bank angle. It was set at 92 degrees and had to tip it back about 10 degrees. The 92 degrees was causing my backside to break down. Took me over a year to figure out all the issues I was having. Didn't think those 2 things would cause so many major issues with my health.

Most likely something with your new chair if you were not having issues before. You will know if you sit in your old chair and things begin to improve. It may take some time for things to improve once you sit in your old chair.

That is my experience.
    Last edited by Mike_Stan; 10-11-2017 at 05:38 PM.

not red or warm. its below coccyx, here I do have an old scar from wound but hasn't opened in years. caregiver didn't notice until yesterday. but could've missed it as sweating started Saturday night
    Last edited by leschinsky; 10-11-2017 at 05:39 PM.

What is your blood pressure during the sweating?
    AD? Does area look like a pressure ulcer or blister? I would stay off of it until it goes away or you see a doctor.
    CWO
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Went to er, normal blood pressure. no not pressure sore, pelvis bone no fractured. fluid retention was the doc's dx, unknown cause. my mom asked if it could be my new chair, my first tilting one. she said maybe. I dunno sounded like a guess. she wants my primary doc to follow. she said I don't have to stay off it, but she thinks the AD is from bladder uti, sigh always they're go to. it's not that, it's the swelling, I'm positive.

this is a weird problem.

is it gone in the morning after being in bed/out of chair

nope. I haven't been in the new chair since Tuesday. but I guess it's possible the edema from my feet, though they aren't real bas as I wear compression hose 30-40hhmg, could've moved to my sacrum. but why aren't I peeing it out?

It was a rectal abscess. Just got out of hospital. nurses said it's doing well, not much blood, but am still scared. it's not down to the bone though.

the wound nurse said I should not tilt all the way back to 50 degrees as would put pressure on it [it's maybe an 1.5" above anus], does that sound right? so how far back should I go?

OMG! They need to listen. You know your body! It's been mentioned a few times that I get a tilt chair ... good to know!
    Make America Sane Again. lol

T-11 Flaccid Paraplegic due to TM July 1985 @ age 12