Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Swelling on butt

Quote Originally Posted by leschinsky View Post
    Also kld, one wound nurse said to pack the wound with iodoform strips and the other with plain ones. and one said cover with gauze and tegaderm the other with a foam, like mepilex, bandage. any thoughts?

wound is now 3.5 centimeters
    I'm quite well versed in wound management now, as I'm sure tons of us are. That's fine and is a typical dressing combination, iodosorb will control the exudate and is antimicrobial, and the bandages are good. What you don't want is healing from the top down, which is prime for further abscesses.

You may want to switch out the gauze for ABD pads, as gauze can stick to wounds. Mepilex bandages are great.

Maybe a VAC will heal it super quick for you. Get in with a wound clinic.

thanks guys. I see the surgeon tomorrow maybe he can help. But a wound vac requires it be attached to you all the time?
    Embrace uncertainty. Hard problems rarely have easy solutions. Jonah Lehrer

Quote Originally Posted by leschinsky View Post
    thanks guys. I see the surgeon tomorrow maybe he can help. But a wound vac requires it be attached to you all the time?
    Yea, but you get used to it. It's still annoying, but you can hang off the back of your chair, and it's pretty small. Unfortunately the VAC has done nothing for me, but does wonders for others.

I had excellent results with the vac on my foot, but yes it has to be kept on at all times. I'd think you'll be stuck in bed as being on it would be counterproductive. The most frustrating aspect is getting a 'seal' on the skin and keeping it.
    Make America Sane Again. lol

T-11 Flaccid Paraplegic due to TM July 1985 @ age 12

Quote Originally Posted by lynnifer View Post
    I had excellent results with the vac on my foot, but yes it has to be kept on at all times. I'd think you'll be stuck in bed as being on it would be counterproductive. The most frustrating aspect is getting a 'seal' on the skin and keeping it.
    My nurse is real good at the dressing, but because of the spot on my butt, it never lasts more than 1.5 days without reinforcement, and often I have to pull it off. Can definitely get annoying at times but it's nice not having to deal with drainage.

So sorry you have to go threw this leschinsky. Damm sores are the worse. Hope you heal up fast.
    Art

I had the same thing about a month ago but mine was on my butt cheek. It finally made it to the surface and for lack of a better term exploded. Went to the ER was admitted and surgery done the next day to remove any effected tissue. Nothing grew when they cultured it but I was sent home with a broad spectrum IV antibiotic just to make sure. The wound was left open but was packed with gauze soaked in Dankins solution which basically a bleach and sterile water mixture. The depth of mine was just shy of 7 centimeters but had some tunneling as well. Went home three days later and have been treating it as described now for about five weeks. The opening has started to granulate in but only about a centimeter a week and according to wife went from the size that you could have put a tea cup in to now about a golf ball. I have decided to have it closed up via a v flap as the at rate it is healing it will be next February. I hate the thought of spending another month in bed but I think it is the best way to handle it.

I hope you heal fast and wish you the best of luck

Nevada

i too have been thru the vac thing twice and they were wanting to do it 3rd time however the wound nurse said no. at 3.5 deep it should heal in a few weeks or month or so. either way your treating it ok. i hated the vac both times i had it on as it was pretty painful since i have a bit of sensation.
    T6 Incomplete due to a Spinal cord infarction July 2009

Quote Originally Posted by nevada View Post
    I had the same thing about a month ago but mine was on my butt cheek. It finally made it to the surface and for lack of a better term exploded. Went to the ER was admitted and surgery done the next day to remove any effected tissue. Nothing grew when they cultured it but I was sent home with a broad spectrum IV antibiotic just to make sure. The wound was left open but was packed with gauze soaked in Dankins solution which basically a bleach and sterile water mixture. The depth of mine was just shy of 7 centimeters but had some tunneling as well. Went home three days later and have been treating it as described now for about five weeks. The opening has started to granulate in but only about a centimeter a week and according to wife went from the size that you could have put a tea cup in to now about a golf ball. I have decided to have it closed up via a v flap as the at rate it is healing it will be next February. I hate the thought of spending another month in bed but I think it is the best way to handle it.

I hope you heal fast and wish you the best of luck

Nevada
    omg so sorry, hope it heals well.

both wound nurse and my surgeon nixed the wound vac saying it's too narrow for one, that it would be overkill.

thanks everyone for your experiences, this was quite scary.

WOUND is now 2cm, it was 3 just on Friday. I'm feeling a little better now