Thread: Wheelchair restraint systems in vehicles

Wheelchair restraint systems in vehicles

I have the Permobil Corpus 500. Because I drive from the wheelchair I have a lockdown system. I have the Permolock system in my van. I have a little button on the armrest of my chair. When pressed, a metal plunger pops out under the chair and you drive into a V-shaped groove on the restraint system. What I was wondering is whether or not the system I have on my chair will work with other lockdown systems.

Unfortunately, the Permolock bolt will not fit into a ezlock floor unit.

Thanks. That's a problem with Permobil, they've made sure that none of our products work with anything else, you've got to have their own products.

The PERMOLOCK works really well, it keeps you solid in place. The biggest flaw I have found is as soon as your tyres start wearing down slightly the bottom of the chair starts catching the restraint system and it can be troublesome getting yourself locked in, especially if your tyres are wet.

By the way, what sort of material do you guys have in your driving position if you drive from a power chair? I need to replace the carpet because it's being worn away and I want to get something put down that is nonslip and very hard wearing.

Quote Originally Posted by Ironside View Post
    Thanks. That's a problem with Permobil, they've made sure that none of our products work with anything else, you've got to have their own products.

The PERMOLOCK works really well, it keeps you solid in place. The biggest flaw I have found is as soon as your tyres start wearing down slightly the bottom of the chair starts catching the restraint system and it can be troublesome getting yourself locked in, especially if your tyres are wet.

By the way, what sort of material do you guys have in your driving position if you drive from a power chair? I need to replace the carpet because it's being worn away and I want to get something put down that is nonslip and very hard wearing.
    My conversion company used Duraflor (http://www.zenithrubberusa.com/sheet...-flooring.aspx) for the entire floor surface of my van. I don't know if it is readily available in the UK. The charge for the flooring (Honda Odyssey) was $600.00. The van is nearly 8 years old and the floor looks like new. I've had vans with carpet and I don't perceive any difference with road noise transfer with the rubberized flooring.

Just to clarify. You don't have to use a Permalock tie down device, just because you use a Permobil chair. There are other tie down systems available. The problem is that I haven't seen any system that is compatible with a competitors system. They all are proprietous about their systems.