Thread: Flights, quads, and weight shifts

Flights, quads, and weight shifts

Greetings! Despite several flights under my belt as a quad, I am still trying to determine the best way for performing a weight shift. At 6'4, there seems to be no space to breath, much less perform a weight shift. There is no space to be leaned forward, it's difficult (in my opinion) to be leaned to the side sufficiently, so what do fellow quads do for weight shifts on a plane??

Side-to-side is best. If you are flying with a companion you should be in the aisle seat with a swing up arm (only a few on each plane). You companion should be in the middle seat. They can climb over you to get into the aisle and help you lean into the aisle to the side, then lean you over onto their (middle) seat. Explain to the window seat person your need to do this as with your height you may end up with your head in their chest! Of course it is not going to be possible to do this every 10-15 minutes. Do it every hour and hold each position for 5 minutes if possible. Practice ahead of time with your caregiver and have them feel for the ischium you are leaning away from to know how far you need to be leaned. It should come completely off the seat/cushion.

(KLD)
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

At 6'4" (I'm the same) sitting on a cushion, while necessary, is really uncomfortable because we sit higher than someone without 3 inches of cushion underneath them and the seat backs "break" at our shoulders and hunch us forward. Very wearing on our shoulders and neck for a long flight. You may find you need to recline your seat more than the person behind you would like. You may want to explain your needs to the person behind you as well.

You may want to try pleading your positioning problem to the gate personnel. If seats are available, they may (don't count on it) upgrade you to a seat with more room. More leg room would be a plus too.

Good luck and Sayonara!

I use this cushion https://motionspecialties.com/produc...v-seat-cushion It is very thin.