Thread: Van Accessible Problem

Van Accessible Problem

I am working with my city to amend "Van Accssible" parking signs to include "wheelchair Users Only" or similar wording.We presently have ample HC parking, however, too often van spots are taken by folks who do not require the extra space to accommodate chairs or scooters. Anyone know of any state or city that has solved this problem?
    You C.A.N.
    Conquer Adversity Now

I hear you, I have often had to park out at the spaces far out in the parking lot. Then when I go in I am the only person in the Sam's club that is in a wheelchair.

Quote Originally Posted by wazabiker View Post
    I am working with my city to amend "Van Accssible" parking signs to include "wheelchair Users Only" or similar wording.We presently have ample HC parking, however, too often van spots are taken by folks who do not require the extra space to accommodate chairs or scooters. Anyone know of any state or city that has solved this problem?
    Something like 'Mobility Devices', 'Mobility Scooters and Wheelchairs', so signage does not rule out scooters.
    P.S. I see many folks use 'van accessible' spots who do not have a van; they do have a handicapped sticker or plate.

This shit frickin' kills me. Why is the "handicapped" guy a wheelchair stick figure when 85% of the users don't use a wheelchair?
    Everyone is out for their self so I don't an answer in our future. To your point, though, if the spots were designated as "char" users only, that would be a great solution. The question is, how can we make that happen?
    Rollin' since '89. Complete C8

Crappler--How do we make that happen is my mission. Oregon passed a law in 2009 that prohibits ambulatory disabled persons from using van accessible spaces. That state issues placards for drivers or passengers who use chairs or scooters. This gives them access to the Van spaces, all others are excluded by law. The trick is to get such a law passed. I'm thinking it may be easier to get a city ordinance passed restricting the van accessible parking spaces to drivers or passengers using chairs or scooters.
    You C.A.N.
    Conquer Adversity Now

hospital are the worst

Quote Originally Posted by vjls View Post
    hospital are the worst
    and medical office complexes