Thread: Being Cleared

Being Cleared

I was in the hospital a couple months ago for kidney stones. I was there three days. Of course I was laying in bed the whole time. So they would reposition me every couple hours. Anyway, the day nurse the second day would ask the CNA, "Is he clear?" I had no clue what they were talking about. I finally asked the nurse what she was asking and she said they were making sure my testicles were not stuck between my thighs, making sure they weren't in the way or causing any pressure problems. She couldn't believe that I had never heard of the term, "Being Cleared." I had never thought about it. I guess when you can't feel them, it doesn't concern you. I guess it should. She said where she worked before they were taught to clear all patients who had no feeling below the waist if they couldn't do it themselves.

Have any of you heard of that before? I know I will pay more attention from now on. Look out for your boys?
    "Some days you eat the bear, some days the bear eats you?"
    http://plegicoutdoorsman.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by countryboy View Post
    I was in the hospital a couple months ago for kidney stones. I was there three days. Of course I was laying in bed the whole time. So they would reposition me every couple hours. Anyway, the day nurse the second day would ask the CNA, "Is he clear?" I had no clue what they were talking about. I finally asked the nurse what she was asking and she said they were making sure my testicles were not stuck between my thighs, making sure they weren't in the way or causing any pressure problems. She couldn't believe that I had never heard of the term, "Being Cleared." I had never thought about it. I guess when you can't feel them, it doesn't concern you. I guess it should. She said where she worked before they were taught to clear all patients who had no feeling below the waist if they couldn't do it themselves.

Have any of you heard of that before? I know I will pay more attention from now on. Look out for your boys?
    No, I never heard that reference before either.
    Last edited by gjnl; 10-10-2017 at 10:11 AM.

It is just an automatic thing my wife does once im in chair and sitting back. dont need to cause any probs sitting on them all day

Never heard that specific term- But very important to ensure. We just make sure " the "boys" are in good position"! That is what our patients usually call them and of course, other names.
    And those that can- do the "clearing" themselves.
    CWO
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Yes, I used this term in all the SCI rehab and hospital facilities in which I worked for 42 some years, and the rest of the staff and clients did as well. If you can't do it yourself after transferring to your chair, you need to ask a caregiver to do so. Sitting on your testicles can cause AD and increase your risks for epididymitis.

I wonder if this nurse attended a course (or was taught by someone who attended the course) on SCI nursing that I taught for a rehab unit in Bismark, ND in the 1980s?

(KLD)
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Like "air ohs" wife, NL does this automatically, just a step in settling me into my chair. No one ever told her about it, but then no one in rehab ever told either of us much about positioning. Most of what we do is OJT (on the job training). We must be doing something right, no pressure injury issues in 35 years of spinal cord injury life.

Scientology?
    69yo male T12 complete since 1995
    NW NJ

Quote Originally Posted by pfcs49 View Post
    Scientology?
    I think that is "Going Clear."

Maybe rather than having cryptic euphemisms..."is he clear," (much like acronyms), our caregivers or hospital personnel should ask, is he sitting on his testicles. Direct, to the point, no need for interpretation. Usually medical personnel are not backward about talking straight about bodily functions or parts.
    Last edited by gjnl; 10-12-2017 at 12:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by pfcs49 View Post
    Scientology?
    LOL! Thanks for the laugh .. and ksw!
    Make America Sane Again. lol

T-11 Flaccid Paraplegic due to TM July 1985 @ age 12

Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
    Yes, I used this term in all the SCI rehab and hospital facilities in which I worked for 42 some years, and the rest of the staff and clients did as well. If you can't do it yourself after transferring to your chair, you need to ask a caregiver to do so. Sitting on your testicles can cause AD and increase your risks for epididymitis.

I wonder if this nurse attended a course (or was taught by someone who attended the course) on SCI nursing that I taught for a rehab unit in Bismark, ND in the 1980s?

(KLD)
    One of those is very possible. Her home base is Bismarck. Traveling nurse. This happened in Fargo a couple months ago.
    "Some days you eat the bear, some days the bear eats you?"
    http://plegicoutdoorsman.blogspot.com/