Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Foley catheters, spasms, leaking

New Foley catheters, spasms, leaking

So, i can no longer get the Foley catheters I have been using for years. For some reason I'm leaking around the catheter. I've also noticed more spasms than usual. Any ideas?

Quote Originally Posted by HuskerDude View Post
    So, i can no longer get the Foley catheters I have been using for years. For some reason I'm leaking around the catheter. I've also noticed more spasms than usual. Any ideas?
    Are you using the foley as an indwelling urethral or supra pubic catheter?

If supra pubic and you are located in the United States take a look at the Poiesis Duette catheter. http://www.poiesismedical.com/products/duette/

I'm using it as a urethral catheter

The new catheters might be too stiff and poking your bladder wall. That happens to me with 100% silicone, can't use them, been using the Bardia many years now with good results.

I wonder... These are yellow. The ones I always used are clear

I wonder... These are yellow. The ones I always used are clear
    Possibly you were sent a silicone coated latex foley catheter or an hydrophilic polymer coated latex catheter.

Maybe. I wonder if the balloon isn't seating right.

Maybe. I wonder if the balloon isn't seating right.
    Do you know what the balloon size of the new catheter is? It should be printed on the packaging. A 5cc balloon should be filled with 10cc of water. If only 5cc of water were used to inflate the balloon, leaking may occur.

Even though the following is from Bard and you may have a different brand catheter, the guidelines are generally the same for all foley catheters.

http://www.bardmedical.com/media/311...Guidelines.pdf
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by gjnl; 10-09-2017 at 07:25 PM.

Ya know what.... I wonder if that's been my problem. I've always thought a 5cc balloon needed 5cc.

I could actually feel my bladder having a spasm. It was shaking a lot.

You are having spasms or tube is not positioned correctly or your tube is taking up all the bladder space ( as in it has shrunk but don't know why that would happen all of the sudden. Also UTI can cause more bladder spasms and leaking.
    If draining well & in the correct place, have urine culture/UA and look for UTI. Are you on Oxybutynin or an anticholinergic to keep bladder relaxed? Most urologists recommend this- especially if leakage starts and no UTI.
    CWO
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.