Thread: We need a flag! or how to get a more positive attitude amoungst the general Populati

Vancouver WA USA - - Male T4 ASIA B incomplete

We need a flag! or how to get a more positive attitude amoungst the general Populati

Bear with me.. one of the many of those crazy thoughts I have in the shower.
    These are the best examples I could think of, not meaning to be insensitive to other group struggles etc..

It struck me that our able bodied friends would never do business or interact with any institution that openly declared itself racist, in fact it would be shunned and closed down for the most part.
    Or institutions that were openly hostile to women, would never receive sponsorship from major brands.
    http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/ca...rticle/2636688
    To the point large brands bend over backwards to do the right thing.

The same would be true for establishments that were openly homophobic or non inclusive on identity grounds.. to the point that businesses of all types happily fly the rainbow flag.
    A point of pride to do business with businesses that are friendly to the whole community as regards their sexual identity etc..

But a business that happily flys the rainbow flag, is anti-racist, non-sexist, but is inaccessible to wheelchairs and provides no equal ADA toilet facilities our able bodied friend will be quite happy to frequent and do business with.

The irony for me... is that as a straight white able-bodied man, you're never going to be black and have to worry about being on the receiving end of racism, you're not going to be a woman and have to worry about sexism, you're not going to be gay and have to worry about homophobia; but as we all know any of us can be disabled and end up stuck in a wheelchair! so any of us could end up having to deal with institutions that are not inclusive, yet as an able bodied person you'll quite happily do business with companies that you wouldn't be able to access if you ended up in a wheel chair.

So how do we shame our able bodied friends from interacting with any business or institution that doesn't meet and exceed the ADA laws the same way they wouldn't participate with racist/homophobic/sexist institutions?

How do we get people to fly our flag even when they themselves are not disabled, so people know they are supporting a truly inclusive business. And use the power of economics to shame those that don't exceed the ADA.

The same way that new buildings are proud to show off their green credentials for example.

A bumper sticker...... "I only do business with (pictures of the black triangle) companies that support everyone!"
    Start overlaying the black triangle over your profile picture on Facebook etc...
    Follow through with flying where ever you can think etc..

I use the black triangle as it is simple and has history!! but open to other suggestions ...
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_triangle_(badge)

like I said just a shower thought, and it needs work making it more coherent ..... thoughts ??

A black triangle seems a kind of aggressive, ominous symbol imo. Mostly because of the black and not the triangle I guess. Surely our color is the light blue of the wheelchair man signs for parking.

If you search for spinal cord injury awareness color, lime green seems to be most often cited and the spinal cord injury symbol seems to be the "butterfly" pictured below. The American Spinal Injury Association (ASIA) cites Sept. 5 each year as Spinal Cord Injury Awareness Day, but this organization doesn't show a color or a logo, except the ASIA logo is colored blue as in the handicapped wheelchair symbol. Spinal Injuries Association cites May 19 as Spinal Cord injury Awareness Day. The World Spinal Cord Injury Day organization uses the spinal cord logo (picture 3).

The problem as I see it, is that there is no one organization that has the support and recognition that represents the majority of people with a spinal cord injury. We are not a group that is well organized and there are many associations with many different agendas. Care Cure Community is a microcosm of this disparity of organization and unity. A couple minute search on the internet finds these groups (there are more, for sure):
    Spinal Cord.org
    Spinal Injury. org
    United Spinal.org
    National Spinal Cord Injury Association
    Christopher and Dana Reeve Foundation
    American Spina Injury Association
    Canadian and American Spinal Research Organization
    Center for Paralysis Research
    Darrel Gwynn Foundation
    Foundation for Spinal Cord Injury Prevention
    International Campaign for Spinal Injury
    Mike Utley Foundation
    Morton Cure Paralysis Fund
    Paralyzed Veterans of America
    Rehabilitation Research Center
    Roman Reed Foundation
    Sam Schmidt Paralysis Foundation
    Spinal Cord Injury Information Network
    Spinal Cord Society
    Attached Images Attached Images    
    Last edited by gjnl; 10-08-2017 at 06:28 PM.

The problem with this is that people who use wheelchairs are in fact a minority among the so called "handicapped" population. What is the percentage of times you see someone in a wheelchair getting out of a car in a handicapped space? Because of the rampant abuse of both handicapped parking tags as well as the government disability system people just aren't going to care.

I bet the LGBTQI community felt the same way before 1962.... and it took till 2003 to get a federal ruling.

Today can you imagine your friends drinking in a bar that physically barred LGBTQI folks ?
    But they think nothing of doing business with establishments that physically bar wheelchairs.

Until we make it uncool to do business with institutions that are not ADA compliant, we will always be an inconvenient minority.

Quote Originally Posted by t8burst View Post
    The problem with this is that people who use wheelchairs are in fact a minority among the so called "handicapped" population. What is the percentage of times you see someone in a wheelchair getting out of a car in a handicapped space? Because of the rampant abuse of both handicapped parking tags as well as the government disability system people just aren't going to care.

Just an idea. . . . .
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak and remove all doubt.

Well depends on the set of friends, but mostly you are right on the LBGBTQIWTF (seriously maybe we should just start blowing dudes or munching box depending on your gender and get tacked on to that letter soup) thing.

You miss my point. Unfortunately for us (us being people stuck in a wheelchair) we are a minority in the "disability" world. Between the swelling ranks of people getting disability from the goverment as well as the fact the most people popping out of cars with handicapped tags having no problems navigating stairs people no longer associate that spiffy blue sigh with the stick man in a wheelchair with people actually in wheelchairs. That along with the fact that there are a lot more jockey jousters than wheelchair users means I don't see any sort of national outrage happening like what happened with the gays But hey, sign me up I am as tired as anyone about inaccessible shit.

Quote Originally Posted by NW-Will View Post
    I bet the LGBTQI community felt the same way before 1962.... and it took till 2003 to get a federal ruling.

Today can you imagine your friends drinking in a bar that physically barred LGBTQI folks ?
    But they think nothing of doing business with establishments that physically bar wheelchairs.

Until we make it uncool to do business with institutions that are not ADA compliant, we will always be an inconvenient minority.

Quote Originally Posted by t8burst View Post
    I am as tired as anyone about inaccessible shit.
    I am tired of accessible toilet facilities seemingly designed by able bodied cretins who have next to no idea what works for cripples in chairs.
    Maybe they assume we all have carers in attendance??