Thread: Kidney stone removal surgery

Kidney stone removal surgery

May have kidney stone removal surgery. Because they leave stets in the ureters for a week, doctor says to restrict physical activity in that time. I was wondering if bending and twisting about the core during transfers would be a problem. If anyone has had this surgery can you comment?

I have had three kidney stone procedures since I was injured - 2 laser ureteroscopies and 1 lithotripsy. For the lithotripsy and one of the ureteroscopies, they left stents in the ureters for about 7-10 days. My injury is incomplete and I have sensation enough that I found the stents really itchy and exasperating. I did slideboard and stand pivot transfers and otherwise did normal ADLs. I was told to stay off the lokomat and not use the exercise bike I had until the stents were out and to not do any stretching that made the irritation from the stents worse. I slept on my back or side because being prone was so irksome. I hope this is helpful. Take care.

I had a kidney stent in for 8 weeks due to stricture in ureter from scar tissue, was not pleasant at all. nearly constant AD. I still trained etc. nothing different.
    Bike-on.com rep
    John@bike-on.com
    c4/5 inc funtioning c6. 28 yrs post.
    sponsored handcycle racer

Quote Originally Posted by annev308 View Post
    I have had three kidney stone procedures since I was injured - 2 laser ureteroscopies and 1 lithotripsy. For the lithotripsy and one of the ureteroscopies, they left stents in the ureters for about 7-10 days. My injury is incomplete and I have sensation enough that I found the stents really itchy and exasperating. I did slideboard and stand pivot transfers and otherwise did normal ADLs. I was told to stay off the lokomat and not use the exercise bike I had until the stents were out and to not do any stretching that made the irritation from the stents worse. I slept on my back or side because being prone was so irksome. I hope this is helpful. Take care.
    Thanks. That was helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by fuentejps View Post
    I had a kidney stent in for 8 weeks due to stricture in ureter from scar tissue, was not pleasant at all. nearly constant AD. I still trained etc. nothing different.
    My concern is that something could go wrong and I wouldn't know it because I couldn't feel it. Good to know that there is some feedback even if it is painful.

Normal bending and twisting is ok. Most don't even know the stents are in. They are to remove the "sand" from the kidney stone. They can come out in to the bladder or get clogged but other than that - most don't complain about them- of course we usually keep patients in the hospital do to long distance where they live.
    CWO
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.