Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Urgent notice for Permobil chair drivers

Permobil phoned me today to let me know that the parts will hopefully be here tomorrow and they will come and fix it on Friday. I made it quite clear but they need to take this very very seriously and not just pass it off as an unfortunate incident. I think they are going to want to take the broken bracket back with them. I was going to keep it myself and get independently tested, however, suppose they need to be given the chance to do this themselves.

I have dodged a bullet twice now with the same thing happening on two different types of Permobil. Both times I was at home so there wasn't a lot of trouble getting out of the chair. The first time it happened I'd been driving the previous day, this time I would have been driving the next day. I don't think I'll be that lucky next time.

Quote Originally Posted by Ironside View Post
    I have dodged a bullet twice now with the same thing happening on two different types of Permobil. Both times I was at home so there wasn't a lot of trouble getting out of the chair. The first time it happened I'd been driving the previous day, this time I would have been driving the next day. I don't think I'll be that lucky next time.
    Thank you for the warning I also have a C500. Here I was impressed with how strong the new back felt. The pivot/hinge point of their back system has always been the weakest link. I have been a Permobil owner since 1992 and while the back system failed the same way on my previous two chairs there was a warning. The same back components of the earlier chairs were composed of steel and plastic. The occasional cracking sound of plastic fracturing and an increased flexing of the back were obvious signs of an impending catastrophic failure. In spite of this I still ended up on my head, once, fortunately I was at home. I solved the problem on my first two chairs by adding steel bars the length of the back on both sides and welding them to the steel hinge. Each chair provided me with more than 10 years of service. However with Permobil now using cast iron I will have to consider doing a preventive replacement of parts to keep this chair safe.

Regarding Permobil's responsibility, as I recall the owner's manual has inspection of the wheelchair components listed as part of routine maintenance.

It took a week for the new component to come over from Sweden which meant a week in bed for me because at the moment I don't have a spare chair. I've tried to make a big fuss about this bracket and the fact that it really shouldn't be breaking in half like this, even after seven years. I didn't realise, it's actually only one bracket that supports the whole backrest, that's even scarier now. As for routine maintenance, of the city that something that needs to be done on a regular basis. However, there may not have been any sign that the bracket was going to snap, it could have started breaking waves can't actually see. Permobil took the bracket back with them to test it, or at best check it out. I'm not really expecting much to happen to be honest. Also, I do think it's unrealistic to use forged steel because they will have to be hammered into shape and these parts are quite precise so I don't think forging woodwork.

But someone did mention they are using Japanese steel that is known to be not very good. I think that's where Permobil need to be looking. It's all very well getting a job done cheaply because obviously they want to maximise profit on the wheelchair, but if your gonna put your customers lives at risk Than it's just not worth it.

I don't know how much a brand-new corpus 500 costs nowadays, but I'm willing to bet it's not for shots of 20 K if you have all the extras. Can you imagine what sort of vehicle you could buy for 20 K? I expect all components to be high quality on my wheelchair because that's what I'm paying for.

Sorry, got my threads confused.