Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Urgent notice for Permobil chair drivers

Urgent notice for Permobil chair drivers

If you use a Permobil corpus 500, or any Permobil that has an electric recline function then I would urge you to read my blog post and get your chair checked ASAP.

http://www.tetraplegicliving.com/myblog?view=entry&id=257
    Last edited by Jim; 10-08-2017 at 08:35 PM. Reason: fixed title

I use Safari as my primary browser and Firefox as my back up. Neither will open this link to your blog. Could you post what you wrote on your blog to a Care Cure Community blog?

Sorry, not sure why the first link didn't work, I should have checked the first.

I have a C300 and a M300 and they both have that same bracket. Cheap Chinese cast steel. Should be Steel there. I can see a lawsuit coming. Very easy to get hurt here. I'll keep my eye on it. But it could break at anytime. Most the pressure is on it in the tilt and recline. My old Invacare TDX-SR only has tilt but were the bracket is its all steel. No cast steel. And obamma tried to put Invacare out of business. He picked on the wrong one.
    Art

Quote Originally Posted by Art454 View Post
    I have a C300 and a M300 and they both have that same bracket. Cheap Chinese cast steel. Should be Steel there. I can see a lawsuit coming. Very easy to get hurt here. I'll keep my eye on it. But it could break at anytime. Most the pressure is on it in the tilt and recline. My old Invacare TDX-SR only has tilt but were the bracket is its all steel. No cast steel. And obamma tried to put Invacare out of business. He picked on the wrong one.
    Is that right, they are using cheap components? If that's the case then I am absolutely disgusted considering how much the chairs cost to buy. To be honest with you, I'm almost at the end of the tether with Permobil. The customer service is absolutely diabolical. I know that they use Twitter so I tweeted them about the impact of the chair collapsing and they haven't had the decency to even acknowledge me.

Like you say, they could end up with a massive lawsuit if someone gets hurt in one of their wheelchairs. In fact, I'm in bed at the moment because I don't have a spare wheelchair. Ever since this happened I've had terrible abdominal pains and my bowels haven't worked for a few days. I'm actually waiting for the doctor to come right now. I think I did something to myself when the back collapsed on Thursday evening

Quote Originally Posted by Ironside View Post
    Is that right, they are using cheap components? If that's the case then I am absolutely disgusted considering how much the chairs cost to buy. Ever since this happened I've had terrible abdominal pains and my bowels haven't worked for a few days. I'm actually waiting for the doctor to come right now. I think I did something to myself when the back collapsed on Thursday evening
    Hello ironside. I hope that you are OK and well on the way to recovery from that episode.
    After reading your blog entry I googled Permobil here in NZ to discover that they have acquired the company that supplies Ki Mobility, DME.
    https://www.dme.co.nz/permobil-expan...-equipment-ltd

There is good money to be made in mobility, or the lack of it

Quote Originally Posted by Ironside View Post
    If you use a Permobil corpus 500, or any Permobil that has an electric recline function then I would urge you to read my blog post and get your chair checked ASAP.
    (1) Your post says that Permobil users with a an "electric recline function" should get the chair checked, but the URL that you linked to (in another post actually, as the original URL you gave appears not to be accurate) says the problem occurred when you performed a tilt. Is the problem with tilt or with recline?

(2) I can't tell from the pictures on the webpage exactly where or what the part is. There is one close-up picture at the top and a blurry picture of the whole chair at the bottom. Can you provide a picture that highlights exactly where the failed part is?

(3) Is there an official Permobil name and part number for the failed part? This would be helpful.

(4) How old is your Permobil?

Quote Originally Posted by Art454 View Post
    Cheap Chinese cast steel. Should be Steel there....My old Invacare TDX-SR only has tilt but were the bracket is its all steel. No cast steel.
    What is the difference between "cast steel" and "steel"?
    Last edited by xsfxsf; 10-08-2017 at 05:32 PM.

Google it. I was a tool and die maker before I got hurt. Cast iron or cast steel is about the same thing. Depends who makes it. It is more brittle than steel so it breaks easy. Mild steel will bend rather than break. The good cast iron years ago was grey inside when broken. I have seen some red cast iron or I call it cast steel. Which is real junk imo. http://pediaa.com/difference-between...ron-and-steel/

I may be wrong at work we called red cast iron as just cast steel junk. We had so many problems with that red chit. Its just a cheap cast iron I guess. The part that broke on his chair and the ones I have on permobil should have been made from steel. There are many different kinds of steel.
    Last edited by Art454; 10-08-2017 at 06:59 PM.
    Art