Thread: Have difficulty with bowl care? Perhaps lack of exercise. Something to try..

Have difficulty with bowl care? Perhaps lack of exercise. Something to try..

Hello,
    okay I'm a quadriplegic and get very little exercise.. Maybe just a couple cross crawls a day. But over the years have had difficulty with bowel care. The problem seems to be that there is air in the intestine.. So that stops the stool from coming down.

So what my mom suggested to do was get a larger catheter (Rubber) and insert that in the rectum. Right before we start bowl care and sometimes air will come out at that time. If not we will put In the suppository and wait about 30-45 minutes. If nothing comes we will again insert the catheter in the rectum and usually there will be air that will come out. Most of the time within 20 minutes, bowl care will be there and keep coming until your done. Don't need to do enema's..

Yeah it's perhaps a bit messy but were not waiting and waiting. I'm not doing enema's (those are painful for me anyhow) It's been a lifesaver for me..

Note: Some things I have described maybe a bit different, unusual or whatever. But it works for me and that's all that matters.

Peace and take care all
    "Life's a Party and Your Not Invited"

Are you using the Magic Bullet suppository?

Do you do any digital stimulation before inserting the catheter and/or the suppository?

Quote Originally Posted by gjnl View Post
    Are you using the Magic Bullet suppository?

Do you do any digital stimulation before inserting the catheter and/or the suppository?
    The answer to both is no.. We don't want to do digital stimulus as my mom says could be reliant upon it if there is a cure. As for the suppository, I don't think it would matter much. Problem seems to be too much air in the intestine. As there is always air coming out.. Bowel care usually is done within 2 1/2 - 3 hours. No enema's, which for me is a big thing. They're painful..
    "Life's a Party and Your Not Invited"

Quote Originally Posted by MagikLair View Post
    The answer to both is no.. We don't want to do digital stimulus as my mom says could be reliant upon it if there is a cure. As for the suppository, I don't think it would matter much. Problem seems to be too much air in the intestine. As there is always air coming out.. Bowel care usually is done within 2 1/2 - 3 hours. No enema's, which for me is a big thing. They're painful..
    It matters. Two to three hours is a long time for a bowel program, especially if you are doing the program on a commode chair or toilet. Or, are you doing your bowel program in bed on a disposable underpad?

Magic Bullets are water soluble bisacodyl suppositories that melt faster than vegetable oil based bisacodyl suppositories like Ducolax or a generic of that brand. Bisacodyl stimulates the peristaltic action that moves stool through the intestine. The faster the suppository melts the faster things get moving. If there is any stool in the rectal vault, it should be removed before inserting the suppository. Don't push the suppository into the stool.

You can insert the suppository while in bed, but it will probably cut down on the time your bowel program takes if you are up in a commode chair or on a toilet shortly after inserting the suppository.

Sorry to contradict your Mom, but you won't become dependent on digital stimulation, cure or no cure. You are more likely to become dependent on suppositories before you'll become dependent on digital stimulation. Removing the stool from the rectal vault and slowly moving a gloved finger around the rectal vault in a gentle circular motion also helps to stimulate peristalsis.

Instead of using the Magic Bullets, you may want to try Enemeez. They are a mini enema (no not the type you find painful).

Here are websites to look at. Enemeez will send you free samples to try.
    https://conceptsinconfidence.com
    https://enemeez.com

Here is the Paralyzed Veterans of America guide, Neurogenic Bowel Management in Adults with Spinal Cord Injury. Good guidelines to follow:
    http://www.pva.org/media/pdf/cpg_neurogenic%20bowel.pdf
    Last edited by gjnl; 10-06-2017 at 05:46 PM.

Air is normal in the intestine and will NOT keep the stool from coming down. You need to check/evacuate first. Insert suppository or Enemeez then air and stool should come down.
    You can do the catheter thing but it is just an extra step.
    CWO
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.