Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Southern California trip

Southern California trip

Greetings! I am considering a trip to southern California next September. My plan is to fly into San Diego, and out of LAX, or vice versa. I'd like to spend a few days in the San Diego area, then take the train into the LA area. Can I get away with relying on public transportation in the San Diego area, if I wish to visit within the city? I'd prefer not to rent a van if possible. I imagine I would need to rent one in the LA area (I hope to stay in the Santa Monica area), to visit the different coastal towns. Probably also a day trip to Disneyland. I don't have much interest in Hollywood, etc.

we did this trip. stay in lajolla(sp) beautiful area. kld is a big help in this area
    Bike-on.com rep
    John@bike-on.com
    c4/5 inc funtioning c6. 28 yrs post.
    sponsored handcycle racer

Quote Originally Posted by landrover View Post
    Greetings! I am considering a trip to southern California next September. My plan is to fly into San Diego, and out of LAX, or vice versa. I'd like to spend a few days in the San Diego area, then take the train into the LA area. Can I get away with relying on public transportation in the San Diego area, if I wish to visit within the city? I'd prefer not to rent a van if possible. I imagine I would need to rent one in the LA area (I hope to stay in the Santa Monica area), to visit the different coastal towns. Probably also a day trip to Disneyland. I don't have much interest in Hollywood, etc.
    Your getting to be a jetsetter! That is a great trip we are doing that trip in two weeks...We are flying from Phx to SNA( Anaheim) and going to Disneyland for a few days then taking Amtrac from Anaheim to San Diego for 3 days.

If you use Paratransit in your city you can reach out to OC Paratransit and get certified.

Then when you fly in to San Diego or Orange County paratransit can pick you up and bring you to your hotel and then hotel to train station.

Both cities very accessible.

If you wanted you could do Amtrac to downtown LA too.

KLD is away, she'll chime in a few days.

We had a great trip to the LA area this summer with two teenage sons. Spent a couple of days at Universal Studios Hollywood and we did the Warner Brothers studio tour. Both were very accommodating /accessible. The Universal Studios park is relatively flat and you can download an app that will filter all the rides/shows according to level of accessibility (i.e. can transfer, manual wheelchair accessible, electric chair accessible). At Warner Brothers they have an accessible cart (ramp and tie-downs for your chair) to tour the backlot.

One of our favorite places to visit in Los Angeles is the Getty Museum.

Keep in mind September in the Los Angeles/Orange County area can be pretty warm, sometimes topping 100?. Of course along the coast is usually more temperate.

A couple of years ago I drove California State Route 1, the 'Pacific Coast Highway' from San Francisco to San Diego and back via Palm Springs, with many stops for sightseeing. I enjoyed the vibe in SD, how accessible the place was and as an ex-military man I really enjoyed the USS Midway tour and watching the fighter jet taking off access the bay.

For LA I stayed in Marina Del Ray, close to Vince Beach & Santa Monica and took the Star Line "Grand Tour of Los Angeles". A five-and-a-half hour coach tour around the many districts of Hollywood & LA which was fantastic, they picked me up & dropped me off at my hotel too which was great and all accessible with forward notice. Like yourself I don't see the attraction of Hollywood so this tour isn't about celeb spotting, just pointing out places of interest etc and giving you taste of the districts.

Accessible public transportation (bus and light rail "Trolley") pretty good in San Diego, depending upon where you want to go. Trolley does not go to beaches or Balboa Park or the Zoo though, and bus can be slow. You might want to consider the Old Town Trolley Tours "hop-on-hop-off" tour; two day tickets are best so you have time. They can be a bit reluctant to let you on/off frequently on their accessible trolleys (not all are lift equipped) due to the time factor, so you have to be pretty firm about getting off/on where you want to.

https://www.trolleytours.com/san-die.../www.sdmts.com

You must apply in advance for MTS Access (paratransit) use: https://www.sdmts.com/rider-info-acc...ity/mts-access
    Reservations are required, and service is not great.

The San Diego Safari Park (formerly Wild Animal Park) is very accessible, but getting there pretty much requires a private vehicle as it is 40 miles north of downtown. At both the Zoo and Safari Park an attendant/caregiver gets in free with your full paid ticket. The Zoo offers a free private lift van to get you to the areas of the zoo that are in deep canyons. Ask for information at the entrance booth.

The light rail go to the Gaslamp Quarter, Petco Park (baseball), Seaport Village, the Embarcadero (USS Midway museum is accessible), Little Italy, and Old Town, as well as two big shopping centers in Mission Valley.

In LA, just keep in mind that it can easily take you over an hour to get from Santa Monica to Disneyland; longer if during rush hour (which in LA is pretty much 0600-1000 and 1400-1900). You might want to consider staying near Disneyland for a few days...Laguna Beach is great, as are the other Orange County beach areas such as Huntington or Seal Beach, or Newport. The Getty Museum is great, as well as the Getty Villa in Malibu. You must have reservations for the latter for parking. No street parking although the Villa Parking is free if you reserve. If you like art, in addition to the Getty, the Los Angeles County Art Museum is fantastic, and the new (modern art) Broad Museum across the street from the Museum of Contemporary Art downtown are both great. The LA County Art museum is close to Farmer's Market (great for lunch) and to the La Brea Tar Pits and Museum (sabre tooth cats, mammoths, etc. dug out of the tar pits). The Museum of Tolerance is also in that area. Be careful if you go into Hollywood....much of this area is pretty seedy now days.

Going north up the coast, I love Santa Barbara, Ojai, and San Luis Obispo. Cambria is an art colony with a lot of retirees too, and is close to Hearst Castle. Unfortunately you cannot get to Monterey along the Big Sur (Hwy 1) drive right now, and it is uncertain how soon the huge mud slide will take to clear, or if it will slide more this winter if we get a lot of rain again.

(KLD)
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.