Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Southern California trip

Traffic can be heavy around Liberty Station, and you have to drive through a lot of traffic to get to the freeways. The Doubletree at Hazard Center is a nice place, and very convenient to the freeways for getting to the Zoo, beaches, Safari Park, etc. I actually park in the free lot next to it when taking the Trolley downtown (to avoid paying outrageous parking in the downtown area). There are a few places to eat in the shopping mall, or across the street (Frair's Road) in the shopping center there.

Parking is free in Balboa Park (gardens and museums), although on weekends or holidays not so easy to find. Go early for the best parking spots (this includes the Zoo). There is a $10 charge for parking at the Zoo's Safari Park, but if you go really early (before 7:30AM) you can get in free, take a short nap in your vehicle, and get into the Park as soon as it opens (9AM).

Of course you need to be sure to bring your own handicapped parking placard. California honors those from other countries and states, generally with no problems.

(KLD)
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
    There is a $10 charge for parking at the Zoo's Safari Park, but if you go really early (before 7:30AM) you can get in free, take a short nap in your vehicle, and get into the Park as soon as it opens (9AM).
    I'm not that desperate to save 10 bucks Think we'll just stick to the Zoo, we've only recently returned a weeks safari in South Africa.

The Safari Park is my favorite over the Zoo. Their species preservation programs are all based there. It is not anything like a safari.

(KLD)
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Quote Originally Posted by landrover View Post
    For myself, I think I have my choices narrowed down to Manchester Grand Hyatt or Hard Rock while in San Diego, and the Loews Santa Monica (a bit pricey, but I like the location).
    Just a FYI to stay Hard Rock is great but its a Hard Rock so the music always loud, and at night it can get a bit roudy as its still a Hard Rock, the rooms are sometimes an interesting lay out and not conventional but they are very accommodating.

The Hard Rock Hotel in San Diego is about 1/2 mile from the Hard Rock Cafe, which is where most of the loud music and partying is taking place...and that restaurant is closing in December anyway. There is a roof-top bar at the hotel, so if you stay there, request a room that is not directly under this bar. Keep in mind that you will pay for parking here, and it is right across the street from the Convention Center, so often is fully booked for large conventions in town.

(KLD)

Quote Originally Posted by sarcastrix View Post
    Homewood Suites by Hilton (Liberty Station, $14 parking) is my main contender at the moment, was also looking at the Hilton Garden Inn by the Old Town & the DoubleTree at Hazard as they're both on the Green Line. Homewood Suites has the advantage as it gives us (me & my 9-year kid) a bit more space on our 5-night stay & has nearby eateries. Any disadvantages to Liberty Station? With the kid in tow, there won't be any shopping or clubbing for me - more boat trips/zoo/museums.

Booked the DoubleTree Santa Monica for a couple of nights before we fly back to Sweden. I'm a Hilton Diamond so tend to stick that chain for the perks.

Have you looked at Hilton Bayfront (gas lamp / bay area) there is so much more downtown to see and do plus great area for kids and lots of things for kids at the hotel.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Hi...BWAQ_BIIpwEwCg

http://hiltongardeninn3.hilton.com/e...VGI/index.html

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Hi...4d-117.1716249

You are close to the trolley and bus which keeps you from having to pay for parking at tourist locations and driving in San Diego traffic.

You can also get approved for dial a ride and each ride is only $4.5

Hilton Garden Inn is nice and new and right in the middle of Little Italy lots to see and do there to.

The other Hilton you are looking as is close to the airport very loud with plane traffic (FYI)

Hilton Bayside is more per day with self parking but you can also look at parking off property and leaving you car of van and use public transportation.

The San Diego zoo is hard to beat for entertainment value plus if you have a care taker they get in free!

Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
    The Hard Rock Hotel in San Diego is about 1/2 mile from the Hard Rock Cafe, which is where most of the loud music and partying is taking place...and that restaurant is closing in December anyway. There is a roof-top bar at the hotel, so if you stay there, request a room that is not directly under this bar. Keep in mind that you will pay for parking here, and it is right across the street from the Convention Center, so often is fully booked for large conventions in town.

(KLD)
    No we are talking the Hard Rock hotel we stay often, just stayed there a few months ago for an event at Petco.

So for some the music and the loud crowd can be a deal breaker.

https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowUser...alifornia.html