Thread: Rotator Cuff Tear

Rotator Cuff Tear

Am I posting this in the right place? I am 43 yr old female, 26 years post injury, C6-7 quad. I have been diagnosed with a rotator cuff tear. I'm going back for round 2 of physical therapy. The dr said I'll need surgery or will end up needing a shoulder replacement. I have a high grade partial to near complete undersurface tear of the insertional fibers of the supraspinatus tendon measuring 10 x 8 mm in dimension. I'm really against having surgery. Are there any rotator cuff exercises that I can do while sitting in my chair?
    The 1st time at therapy I was limited on what I could do but I'm hoping to get ideas that I can bring up.
    Thanks

I would encourage you to get a second opinion, if you can. However, given what you are telling me, I think that you probably need surgery to get the best result. I am not recommending it - merely giving you my opinion. I will be interested in seeing what others who have been through this chime in with.

ckf
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

I am 34 years post T8 injury with torn rotator cuff muscles as well as severe bone-on-bone osteoarthritis. My orthopedic doctor recommended a shoulder replacement. But both orthopedic surgeons said the surgery was too risky for a para. Now I have to live with limited function and chronic pain in my shoulder indefinitely. If I could go back in time and improve my shoulder with another surgery that wasn't too risky, I would do it.

You said small town .. I think it's worth it to travel to a larger centre where they have experience with paralysis and its complications. Get the opinion there and make a more informed choice.
    Make America Sane Again. lol

T-11 Flaccid Paraplegic due to TM July 1985 @ age 12

Quote Originally Posted by August West View Post
    Now I have to live with limited function and chronic pain in my shoulder indefinitely. If I could go back in time and improve my shoulder with another surgery that wasn't too risky, I would do it.
    Thats an interesting position. From a quick scan of forum postings on shoulder surgery more people seem to recommend not having surgery. Your post points out a downside risk to forgoing surgery. I’m like the OP with a rotator cuff tear and considering surgery, my surgeon says he can likely fix it now but in a couple of years may not be able to. I’m trying to figure out the risk reward balance. The recovery process is very unpleasant.
    Who has had shoulder surgery and are happy they did?

I recently had Lipogem injections done on one of my shoulders. I had really bad tears and gaps in the shoulder. Surgery was needed but I was able to get into a clinical trial at Kessler with this new procedure. They have been doing this for years at the New jersey sports clinic under Dr. Malanga. All I can say is this procedure was a 100% success after two weeks. My shoulder feels like new. No more constant pain, started working out after one month and its doing very well. Full use. Here is the clinical trial doc. number to read about it. ClinicalTrials.gov identifier # NCT03167138. Maybe there is a doctor in your area that will do this procedure. It eliminates any type of surgery. I am going to have my other shoulder done in about six or eight months. They harvest fat cells from your body and inject them in the injury site. Wish you well.

Quote Originally Posted by beckman View Post
    Thats an interesting position. From a quick scan of forum postings on shoulder surgery more people seem to recommend not having surgery. Your post points out a downside risk to forgoing surgery. I’m like the OP with a rotator cuff tear and considering surgery, my surgeon says he can likely fix it now but in a couple of years may not be able to. I’m trying to figure out the risk reward balance. The recovery process is very unpleasant.
    Who has had shoulder surgery and are happy they did?
    The doctor who recommended the shoulder replacement was fresh out of school. He made the recommendation based on theory and MRI results. Two surgeons who had more experience realized that there's more to it than MRI results. They said this was something to be avoided for a para. Surgery on a tear seems far less risky.
    Last edited by August West; 10-03-2017 at 11:00 PM.

https://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/...IPOGEMS&rank=2

That really looks promising! Any way to get to Kessler in New Jersey?
    Make America Sane Again. lol

T-11 Flaccid Paraplegic due to TM July 1985 @ age 12

Hello Lynnifer, I had my right shoulder done on August 10th and I can't believe how well it is doing. This procedure will help eliminate many rotator tear surgeries among others. She might also ask her doctor to try PRP. It is the blood plasma injections. Many get it done in the shoulders and knees. I have a friend who had his knee done and he doing great.

I did not realize they were doing this at Kessler. Great information to have. I would look at that clinical trial and see if it is a multi-center trial. You might find one closer to where you live.
    ckf
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.