Thread: High Blood Pressure Medication AD Situations

High Blood Pressure Medication AD Situations

Is it Nifedipine that's typically used? Years ago I'd carry a prescription of those (I think) and I figured I should start again since I'm a lot older now. When I'd get an AD episode with splitting headache I'd chew on one.

I've used Nifedipine since 2006 but when I went to get a new prescription, my insurance wouldn't pay. I planned to talk to my NP when she came, but she quit and my doctors office hasn't found another... as of a week ago. When I get a new one, I'm going to ask about nitro paste.

The Nifedipine I took, was a rubber pill with a liquid inside that you held under your tongue.

That's it, I'd always bite it open though when my head felt like it was going to explode.

I bit it too... I didn't want to wait for someone to cut it open.

Interesting. I'm surprised insurance doesn't pay. Maybe because nifedipine is kind of garbage at controlling high blood pressure because of it's short half life... which also makes it pretty good at controlling AD.

I'd make sure to impress that upon your new NP or whomever you see in case they have to do a prior authorization for this med... which would be a bit ridiculous since it's been generic since before i was born.

My doctors office can't seem to understand that I only take this medication on rare occasions because of AD. I tried to explain over the phone but they called back saying that I didn't need to take it anymore. I have 4-5 pills left but they're over a year expired... I'm hoping they find a new NP soon because I need a flu shot and need to discuss my digestive issues.

You might want to think about switching to nitropaste. That is the standard of care now. The nice thing about it is once you have identified and removed the cause , you wipe it off and poof - no more hypotension residual. I know that nifedepine worked well, but so does this. You might have better luck if you send the treatment guidelines to your physician's office along with your request. They are posted on this site.
    ckf
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Thanks for that input, CKF.

Anytime! That is what we are here for.
    ckf
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.