Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: [Freewheel] So, i'm pushing my wheelchair from vancouver to yukon....

Agree with Patrick and Nonoise. I also think you should have a support vehicle to safely attempt this sort of trip. Should you break an axle or something without support you would be very vulnerable. From nature documentaries I know grizzly bears are voracious just before hibernation. Try to get the Hansen foundation to sponsor and support your trip before attempting again in a better season.

Pat is right. there has already been snow on the mountain passes in the southern part of the province. Your best bet is cut your losses, go home and prepare to do the trip in the spring with better planning in place.
    Last edited by canuck; 10-10-2017 at 11:43 AM. Reason: added dettail

I wondered about that as its already snowed in montanta earlier this month

I see what you mean. I just passed bear creek's trail onto Keefers Road, along trans-canada highway. It was hell on the mountain's path. The wind is really unforgiving. Thats why i thought to myself I need to go to Kamloops, that's where I'm heading. The closest town is Lytton. It's not a town. It's a village.

But I cant go home now, half-world away. It's not because of the money, but it already took loads of effort to come here with my dog.
    walking is OVER-RATED!!!

Broken in August 14th, 2003. T9-L1 complete.

Hate to break it to you but you really haven't seen any major hills yet. Lytton elevation is 195 meters, Kamloops elevation 345 meters. Prince George elevation 575 Meters are just examples. You're going to be pushing up 7% or better grades in places.
    Last edited by canuck; 10-10-2017 at 06:31 PM.

You have to use some common sense here. End your journey now. Call for some help to get into some safe and warm shelter. There is no shame here. Weather will get the best of you. Do you have any protection from the animals that may be around. You're not on a death wish are you? Don't risk it any more.
    I refuse to tip toe through life, only to arrive safely at death.

Recommend you consider this Part 1 of your Quest and stop ASAP, so you can still be around to start Part 2.

Many interesting issues about this: What are your sleeping arrangements; how do you keep cell phone charged; what are you eating; are you carrying dog food and water; do any family or friends know what you are doing?

What is your gut feeling about why you are doing this? Interested in details about your journey.
    Many CareCure members are extremely concerned about the thought of a person doing such a trip, apparently with no support team.
    Last edited by triumph; 10-11-2017 at 08:18 AM.

Sleeping arrangement : A tent bug agnes ul2 (not 4 season, since i need an ultra lightweight tent), a -15c titon tracker sleeping bag, a nemo astro air sleeping pad.

Power : i have an allpower solar charger and aukey 30000mah power bank.

Apparels : I dont bring much, but what i carry (or wear) is very crucial for me. I wear polyester thermal, a sweater, a waterproof snowpants (because i have no room to carry it) and a softshell jacket for now. I have a snowboarding jacket rated for -30. Mask/snowcap/glove/wool socks and tim boots. But this glove is practically useless since i need every little grip from my hand.

I also carry bread, peanut butter, dog food, and water.

It's not the best set of equipment. But just in case, i have a butane canister and stove so i can burn myself in case if i need some heat. Dont really use it for cooking. Maybe when i need to boil some frozen water.

I know the elevation is gonna be high. That's why im doing it. It really doesnt matter if it's 150m or 500m or 4000m. If its good for a car its good enough for wheelchair to go through. But i admit that im not familiar with extreme cold. Ive heard a lot about canada, especially yukon. And I also know my gear is really undermining the weather. Im really pushing my limit here. But since i have cancer (osteosarcoma), the thought of death didnt really matter. I thought if im gonna go back, it must be for a very good reason. That's all.
    walking is OVER-RATED!!!

Broken in August 14th, 2003. T9-L1 complete.

Good luck to you Nia, Sorry to hear about your cancer. I know you've had it rough these last few years and am here to support you in any way I can. If anything, like T said, if you need to quit for any reason, you'll gain valuable experience for your next attempt.

I'm impressed by your tenacity and how far you've gotten with the equipment and preparedness you have. I trust you realize you're heading into areas where your cell phone will not work. I'm really concerned for you and your dog; especially this time of year.

Lets look at this from the dogs perspective. It is loyal, loving and, protective to you. Should you succumb to the elements, you will be leaving your dog to whatever it is confronted with. All this just because the dog has been good to you. Is that fair?
    I refuse to tip toe through life, only to arrive safely at death.