Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: [Freewheel] So, i'm pushing my wheelchair from vancouver to yukon....

Thanks for sharing your set-up. Sounds like you are a pro at survival equipment and have done this before. As for the osteosarcoma.......there's another quest itself. Hope you can stay in touch and let us know how you and the pup are doing.

Do your thing, Nia. All the naysayers are just freaking out because they'd never consider doing something like this and frankly consider it impossible.

You've got quite good gear, and it would be difficult for you to freeze to death at this time of year unless you decide to spend a night at a really high elevation. It's your life and you're the one who chose to live it this way. If other people feel it's "unsafe" if you don't do this or "irresponsible" if you don't do that or worry that something bad will happen, that is their own anxiety that they need to deal with.

Live life the way you want. Any one of us could get killed crossing the street tomorrow or have a heart attack in bed tonight. If you want to spend your days pushing across Canada instead of watching TV, good on you! This is my kind of adventure!

Have fun.

I hear you Nia. A good reason may be so you can come back and complete it. You're gaining a lot of experience out there and learning alot. What you've accomplished is a far from being a failure.

If per chance you need to stop, perhaps we can hook you up with others who have done major runs for tips. I realize this is a personal journey so you may want to do it on your own. You've proven your tenacity and determination this time.

I pm'd my info to you. If there's anything I can do; please don't hesitate. Seriously. Don't use "this is my only chance" as an excuse to stay on the road. If it's possible, and it is, we'll get you back for another run at it. In the meantime, Enjoy the journey.
    Last edited by Patrick Madsen; 10-11-2017 at 06:41 PM.

Thank you.

I do need help sometimes. Especially on keeping myself dry. Ive met some nice people along the way, but i also understand that this is just the beginning.

Please dont hate me on my "selfishness". It's not pride or anything for me. Im not doing this for the media or fame or anything. But this is the stuff i'd do when i was able-bodied. After being scared for 12 years, i decided to do this. Partly, because i have osteosarcoma. Partly, because this is what i used to do. It's hard to me to accept the fact that i'll die giving up myself, who i am, to my paralysis.

And im willing to give it a rest if condition gets worse. Anyone can let me stay in their barn for the winter?

Kidding.
    walking is OVER-RATED!!!

Broken in August 14th, 2003. T9-L1 complete.

Quote Originally Posted by nia adha View Post
    Thank you.

I do need help sometimes. Especially on keeping myself dry. Ive met some nice people along the way, but i also understand that this is just the beginning.

Please dont hate me on my "selfishness". It's not pride or anything for me. Im not doing this for the media or fame or anything. But this is the stuff i'd do when i was able-bodied. After being scared for 12 years, i decided to do this. Partly, because i have osteosarcoma. Partly, because this is what i used to do. It's hard to me to accept the fact that i'll die giving up myself, who i am, to my paralysis.

And im willing to give it a rest if condition gets worse. Anyone can let me stay in their barn for the winter?

Kidding.
    Well........we live in a converted barn and if you were desperate something might be feasible. The guest bedroom is isolated, accessible and has roll in shower w/crip bench.
    69yo male T12 complete since 1995
    NW NJ

Do your thing. You seem like a strong, independent and smart woman. You'll know when you've had enough. Please keep in touch here and let us know how you're doing.
    Make America Sane Again. lol

T-11 Flaccid Paraplegic due to TM July 1985 @ age 12

You have no idea what it takes just to warm your feet. That statement chilled to the bone. Even with no surface feeling can feel when feet get really cold. I wear winter boots all winter even inside . You run a major problem of frost bite and loosening fingers, toes and feet. Your dog needs coverage also, coat, eye mask as well and boots for his feet or he will . I understand the desire to have your dog as a companion . But DO NOT put this animal into any danger. You have picked the worst time to start this trip as nor easter wind tend to very cold abound first. You are endangering yourself with you continuing but you are abusing the dog for your needs

I reached out to the Rick Hansen Foundation .. they said they were aware of you?

Hope you’re well.

Quote Originally Posted by lynnifer View Post
    I reached out to the Rick Hansen Foundation .. they said they were aware of you?

Hope you’re well.
    Just reach lytton. There was no coverage in the creeks.

I did email them, but havent come out to any conclusion as of now. It's mind boggling to them why I did the trip of this nature. Im fine for now, but it is getting colder at night.

Dont worry about the dog. He has some good stuff on him. Besides, he's a siberian husky. He doesnt even want me to put blanket on him on snowy day and prefer to sleep in the snow. He used to sleep outside in -40c. -2c is pretty much warm for him. He's a sled dog alright. I prioritize the dog over myself. He eats and drinks before me. And when he's tired (if ever, because i dont he can run for 2 hours and begs me to run when we stop for rest), we always stop to rest. And he doesnt pull me when we're going up hills where he cant pull. He's a working dog, but i love him to death. No worries.
    walking is OVER-RATED!!!

Broken in August 14th, 2003. T9-L1 complete.

Very temperate where you are, but going north will get colder and you have a long way to go. Do you have a back-up plan? Did RH offer anything in support?