Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: [Freewheel] So, i'm pushing my wheelchair from vancouver to yukon....

Even getting minor service on wheelchair helps actually.

My roundbetty dino creaks like hell. Some of them came loose i just tighten it myself. I probably should go with spinergy instead of pair of dinos.

I wanted to document it all but all i have is a not-so-good phone. Cant really take stable video with this. But i'll try my best. I just started my trip a week ago and only gotten about 220km from vancouver. Cant believe how steep the mountains get here in canada.
    walking is OVER-RATED!!!

Broken in August 14th, 2003. T9-L1 complete.

Take notes whatever you can do to make a record of your journey. Lol, yeah, the mountains are steep. They've conquered many a soul trying to get over them.

Where's your next stop; if Vernon or Kamloops perhaps we can get Advanced Mobility or a bike shop to check things out on my dime. Or wherever you're at. I pm'd my info to you if needed.

I am heading towards kamloops. But i cant say for certain when i will arrive. Someday pushing is good. Someday i only get abt 15km done because of the mountain. It's worse when you cant wear any glove because you need every grip you have going up and down.
    walking is OVER-RATED!!!

As much as I hate them, maybe contact the Rick Hansen Foundation? You'd have a gang to join you by the end of the week and they'd probably bend over backwards to make sure your equipment is up to date and in functioning order.

https://www.rickhansen.com/About-Us/Contact-Us
    Make America Sane Again. lol

T-11 Flaccid Paraplegic due to TM July 1985 @ age 12

Anything i should know before contacting them? Why do you hate them?
    walking is OVER-RATED!!!

They started out with their mission to care and cure paralysis. Now they focus on quality of life. Funded millions by provinces and federal government.

They live for instances just like this.

Quote Originally Posted by lynnifer View Post
    They started out with their mission to care and cure paralysis. Now they focus on quality of life. Funded millions by provinces and federal government.

They live for instances just like this.
    Quick question.

I havent been to cold country much, let alone the yukon. If you guys happen to use cathether with urine bag, has the urine ever freeze in the bag? Does such problem exist?
    walking is OVER-RATED!!!

I'm not out in the cold for long anymore, but the temp needs to be -5?C (according to a quick google search) which is the least of the temps you might hit during your trip. Hard to say how long with warm body fluid constantly leaking into the bag and constant movement?

It's 2?C now with light snow. October 10th.

Nia, I am really concerned for you. This time of year is not a good time to be wheeling North. especially without proper cold weather gear. Those mountains are killer in a real sense; not only by weather, terrain; there are a lot of bear, coyotes and wolf fattening up for Winter..

You could always do the run in sections if conditions get too bad. Get to a certain destination; go home, raise funds and train for the next section.

Are you on the Coqahalla Highway or Fraser river Highway? PM me if you can with your contact numbers. I'll call around and see what I can do. Where is your nearest town coming up?
    Last edited by Patrick Madsen; 10-10-2017 at 03:07 AM.

I hope you will listen to Patrick. He knows his stuff. This is not the time of year to be wheeling north.
    I have had periodic paralysis all my life. I lost my ability to walk in 2011 beginning with a spinal block, which was used for a hip fracture caused by periodic paralysis.