Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast

Thread: [Freewheel] So, i'm pushing my wheelchair from vancouver to yukon....

[Freewheel] So, i'm pushing my wheelchair from vancouver to yukon....

....i have a freewheel rack on me. All of you know that the hinges is secured with zipties.

I've only made 120km to chilliwack (heading east from vancouver) and i managed to break my hinge 3 times now. And since it broke that much, i made a little modification. I used metal clamp and grind the hinge to set them up.

I can see it being broken permanently with this mod but i also know it's not gonna last any longer with the ziptie either. And sure enough, it's broken now.

Hey pat, can we have like a metal mount for these so i can just weld it to my chair? I'm using icon wheelchair. Or can i get the design so i can send it to fabricators?

I'm not making complaints. I know the rack wasnt intended for heavy stuff or real offroad trips but i was trying to figure things out. I wish it can tho. I really wish it's doable.
    walking is OVER-RATED!!!

Broken in August 14th, 2003. T9-L1 complete.

No advice to offer but wow good for you! Personal journey or raising funds or awareness?
    Make America Sane Again. lol

T-11 Flaccid Paraplegic due to TM July 1985 @ age 12

I know you can work it out! Sounds like a fantastic trip.

Kudos! That is a challenging journey.

Unfortunately, I can't see the pics to understand what is needed, but Canadian Tire sells some pretty beefy hose clamps that would at least be better than zip ties (if you haven't already thought of it).

Best of luck on your trip!

Sorry the link didnt work.

Is this the hose clamp you were talking about? I did made some mod to it because i found these in the store, but....

Still broken

There's no real solution to offroad rack i guess. But it sucks to carry heavy burden on your spine for thousands of kilometer. I might now have any other option but to carry a backpack.
    walking is OVER-RATED!!!

Personal trip. I kinda want to challenge what i initially can do. I'm on this trip with my dog, but personally i would really love it if someone comes join me. It gets really lonely pushing along the roads for hundreds of miles with no cars and with bears around. If i have a partner, we can be lonely together ������
    walking is OVER-RATED!!!

As the youngsters say, (used to??) big ups to you.

Don't mention the bears

Greatly admire your spirit. Can you get some bear spray.

Best wishes to you Nia. Your spirit is to be admired. Hope the weather and winter hold out for you. If I could, I would join you in a hot minute. I am T11-L1 post 2008 year. Keep us posted on your progress and adventure.
    I refuse to tip toe through life, only to arrive safely at death.

Have you contacted the Canadian Paraplegic Association? I'm sure many would join you along the way. I wish I had known as I live 30 miles from Vancouver.

Terry Fox started the same way you did. It started as a personal journey with a friend and an old van. He approached the Cancer Organization for possible financial help and they poo-pooed his idea to run across Canada. They had no time for him at all until he started getting publicity from local city stations he was running thru. Same with Rick Hansen; he was going to go it alone in memory of Terry until Stan Stronge came on board and pushed it to what it became.

I trust you are documenting or keeping a journal along the way.