Thread: Sweating all the time except when in Bed

Question Sweating all the time except when in Bed

I can figure out whats going on. Years ago it was a skin issue. I'm going to Botox mt bladder to eliminate that possibility. I add jell to my cushion still no difference. Tilting on chair only works sometimes. Could it be my joints? I can only get rid of the sweating with pain killers like Tylenol, Ibuprofen or Excedrin. But sometime only one of them works its a guessing game which one to take. Any idea's?
    "Some people say that, the longer you go the better it gets the more you get used to it, I'm actually finding the opposite is true."

-Christopher Reeve on his Paralysis

Sweating is a possible sympton of Autonomic Dysreflexia (AD). Individuals with spinal cord injury at the T-6 level or above are at greater risk. AD usually occurs because of a irritating stimulus below the level of the injury. Have you taken your blood pressure when you have these events? It would seem if you have this symptom when you are sitting up, but not when you are lying down, the problem is definitely positional. the pain killer you are taking, help resolve the irritation to some extent, but the cause of the irritation is still there.

When did you last have cushion pressure mapping? Maybe a gel cushion or this gel cushion is no longer suitable. Maybe you need some other type.

When did you last have a physical work up? Maybe time to see the primary care doctor.

Did you check for hemorrhoids I have a cluster of them and whatever they flareup I sweat like crazy till I get off them

My hips are arthritic enough that the doctor said that if I was walking, I'd need replacements... anyhow while laying still in bed, I'm fine, but when I get my legs moved I sweat like crazy. Do you sweat when getting ROM or other movements while in bed?

Note: A few years ago I sweated while sitting due to a ischial pressure sore caused by a bone spur... keep an eye on your skin.

I sweat a lot to. Part f it for me is from diabetes as well as sci I think.

When did the sweating start most recently? It sounds like it may be different this time from your previous skin issue. When you take the pain medication are you in pain? or just trying to stop the sweating?

pbr
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

I take oxybutynin for sweating, works great

Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
    When did the sweating start most recently? It sounds like it may be different this time from your previous skin issue. When you take the pain medication are you in pain? or just trying to stop the sweating?

pbr
    I take oxybutnin for sweating, works great

I just pulled the two extra jell pads out of my Jay 3 Cush & the sweating stopped today. I added them about a month ago & it was ok at first but then it go worse. So it defiantly a cushion issue. I hate this J3 I'm looking for a better cushion option. I may go back to the Jay 2.
    "Some people say that, the longer you go the better it gets the more you get used to it, I'm actually finding the opposite is true."

-Christopher Reeve on his Paralysis

Denver, Colorado USA ---- C5/6 Complete 1985
    My sweating problems were due to hemorrhoids, cushions, and suppositories. I agree that oxybutynin stops the sweating, but can cause other problems (dry mouth, constipation). Gel cushions never worked for me. I never sweat when on a high profile Roho (0 pressure). Pressure mapping is a good idea too. Norm, your profile doesn't seem to show your injury level, but it might not be relevant here. I'm glad you figured out the gel pressure problem!
    "The primary cause of unhappiness is never the situation but thought about it. Be aware of the thoughts you are thinking. Separate them from the situation, which is always neutral. It is as it is."
    --Eckhart Tolle

The sweating can be a SIGN of an issue. If you take Oxybutynin then you may not sweat.
    What was your blood pressure and pulse during these episodes? If you didn't check it or you don't have a blood pressure machine- Please acquire one. The wrist monitor is about $20-$30 at Walmart or other big box stores. Keep it in the box- no trauma or it will not work right. It can be accurate!

BTW- there is silent AD. No symptoms or minimal. Check your blood pressure please. AD is not good for cardiovascular health per recent studies.

CWO
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.