Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Look at what happened here..

Quote Originally Posted by Andy View Post
    Cool when they just drill holes into tubing and expect it to bear a load through the holes, huh? Had a TiLite do that also
    Was it a Tilite 2gx? I use mine with an attachable Handcycle maybe not such a good idea??

Quote Originally Posted by Andy View Post
    Cool when they just drill holes into tubing and expect it to bear a load through the holes, huh? Had a TiLite do that also
    Likewise with my TiLite ZR2, snapped on a drill hole.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Quote Originally Posted by slow_runner View Post
    Folders are OK but folding to this extent is plain uncomfortable

This came as a surprise; as I turned on the deck in preparation to enter my home a crunching sound. Strange... then I saw that the right wheel was showing some heavy camber.

Thin wall tubing without a slug or reinforcing of any kind... Looking on the bright side, this failure happened at home directly in front of the entrance and not elsewhere.
    it is a few years old (maybe 5?) and has been absolutely reliable up to this point.
    Both of those tubes probably didn't fail at the same time. Didn't you notice any popping or creaking, prior to the failure? Did the brakes seem out of adjustment, like they wouldn't hold? I've seen those symptoms in chairs that warn of a failure, because the frame has cracked.

Quote Originally Posted by baldfatdad View Post
    Both of those tubes probably didn't fail at the same time. Didn't you notice any popping or creaking, prior to the failure? Did the brakes seem out of adjustment, like they wouldn't hold? I've seen those symptoms in chairs that warn of a failure, because the frame has cracked.
    Hi BFD.
    Thinking back, when mounting my lift platform to carry me to deck level, it did give a creak but nothing that alerted me to be concerned.
    Once the chair is repaired or replaced, I will pay closer attention to sounds that may alert me to possible potential failure.
    I had washed it down only a few days back and nothing stood out then.
    Lessons learnt.

Edit. I have spoken with the local Ki agency this morning.
    The new catalyst 5 has a new weight limit of 135kg. The dual cross brace tubes are now oval shape.
    Much like this? http://www.rossmachineracing.com/ima...alrunnert1.jpg

Given the original design shortcoming, I assume that it will be a warranty issue and no drama with replacement or repair.
    Wait and see
    Last edited by slow_runner; 10-01-2017 at 05:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by sarcastrix View Post
    Likewise with my TiLite ZR2, snapped on a drill hole.
    Too many wheelies?
    Once again; no reinforcing in such a high load zone. A internal sleeve or an aluminium slug would have added bugger-all weight and provide greater structural integrity
    Last edited by slow_runner; 10-01-2017 at 06:52 PM.

If you think you have a crack, next time. Spray some WD 40 in the area. Lightly wipe it down and then sprinkle baby powder on it. The WD 40 will have gone in the crack and show up as a line in the powder. Also keep an eye on the welds where those tube meet the seat and down by the frame.

Holy crap! In all my years, I've never seen such a thing and I've jumped off a ton of high curbs. Once when I was drunk and trying to show off, I jumped off a 3 or 4 foot high deck onto the grass below and no issues except that my back told me to never do anything that stupid ever again. I guess they don't make chairs like they used to.

Quote Originally Posted by baldfatdad View Post
    If you think you have a crack, next time. Spray some WD 40 in the area. Lightly wipe it down and then sprinkle baby powder on it. The WD 40 will have gone in the crack and show up as a line in the powder. Also keep an eye on the welds where those tube meet the seat and down by the frame.
    Good advice BFD. It works on cylinder heads as well as I now recall, thanks for the reminder.
    From the Ki site, the round tubes were obsoleted in June 2016 when the oval tubes were introduced and the load rating increased to 135kg
    https://kionline.kimobility.com/Prod...yManual.action

When the damage to my chair is remedied and returned, it will be interesting to see if more than tube profile has been introduced. I would hope to see reinforcing by way of tube insert, either radially, axially or both.

Quote Originally Posted by fasdude View Post
    Holy crap! In all my years, I've never seen such a thing and I've jumped off a ton of high curbs. Once when I was drunk and trying to show off, I jumped off a 3 or 4 foot high deck onto the grass below and no issues except that my back told me to never do anything that stupid ever again. I guess they don't make chairs like they used to.
    No leaping from heights for me fasdude. I am not capable of such feats, besides I value what mobility I have
    No, just the normal popping to smooth out the transition from pavement to road etc.

Getting merry in good company with what's good for you is worthy value and should be enjoyed at all times.

Update.
    I just received notification that Ki Mobility will replace under warranty. That is good of them; isn't it?
    3 weeks for the parts delivery (from the US I assume) then assembly at this end and delivery to me.
    The anticipation....
    It is just as well that we rely on speedier communication and transport than snail mail and sailing ships .
    I have been assured that Ki Mobility have manufactured 10s thousands of this type of X bracing (the old style??) without any problem. Also, these component parts (the newer design??) have passed (stringent?) international testing standards.
    Quote " of the 600 plus chairs we have sold we have replaced 2 sets, please note we have no idea if this was through abuse or fair wear and tear. "
    That isn't a bad innings, on paper. However, in the real world, if you happen to be in the chair at the time, and been injured, you might have a differing view.

I've taken one of these Ki chairs completely apart because I did not want to keep it, but some of the parts looked worth keeping. It will be a time comsuming job replacing those cross members. I thought Ki over designed the chair using *two* cross members. Most others except hospital chairs only have one.
    I have had periodic paralysis all my life. I lost my ability to walk in 2011 beginning with a spinal block, which was used for a hip fracture caused by periodic paralysis.