Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Look at what happened here..

Look at what happened here..

Folders are OK but folding to this extent is plain uncomfortable

This came as a surprise; as I turned on the deck in preparation to enter my home a crunching sound. Strange... then I saw that the right wheel was showing some heavy camber.

Thin wall tubing without a slug or reinforcing of any kind... Looking on the bright side, this failure happened at home directly in front of the entrance and not elsewhere.
    it is a few years old (maybe 5?) and has been absolutely reliable up to this point.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by slow_runner; 09-30-2017 at 12:07 AM.

Quickie or TiLite? Weight limit?
    Make America Sane Again. lol

T-11 Flaccid Paraplegic due to TM July 1985 @ age 12

Quote Originally Posted by lynnifer View Post
    Quickie or TiLite? Weight limit?
    Hi Lynnifer. It is a Ki Catalyst and according to Ki the current Catalyst 5 is good for 300lb ( 135kg ) Catalyst 4 is 250lbs ( 113kg )
    I have a good safe buffer on those limits about 10kg on the safe lower side and dropping as
    I get a grip on my eating
    Last edited by slow_runner; 09-30-2017 at 03:10 AM.

Boy, am I glad! My DME two years ago tried to talk me into a KI! I was like, no way! I was eventually banned from the store! LOL

New manager and salespeople now so going to try again.

I had the same issue with an 11yr old Quickie and (age 15-26yrs) was able to buy a new cross brace and just replace that part ... hopefully it's under warranty? Not sure how Ki works.
    Make America Sane Again. lol

T-11 Flaccid Paraplegic due to TM July 1985 @ age 12

Quote Originally Posted by slow_runner View Post
    Thin wall tubing without a slug or reinforcing of any kind... .
    Cool when they just drill holes into tubing and expect it to bear a load through the holes, huh? Had a TiLite do that also

Quote Originally Posted by lynnifer View Post
    Boy, am I glad! My DME two years ago tried to talk me into a KI! I was like, no way! I was eventually banned from the store! LOL
    New manager and salespeople now so going to try again.
    I had the same issue with an 11yr old Quickie and (age 15-26yrs) was able to buy a new cross brace and just replace that part ... hopefully it's under warranty? Not sure how Ki works.
    I don't know about the warranty Lynnifer; probably not. Good service from the people who do the service though, especially the chap who is on weekend call-out. A bloody good bloke!

Quote Originally Posted by Andy View Post
    Cool when they just drill holes into tubing and expect it to bear a load through the holes, huh? Had a TiLite do that also
    Gidday Andy. What are the odds it was designed by engineers with an accountancy degree???
    Discussion at the design stage "What is the worst that could happen in case of failure?"
    Yes, the victim might end up in another wheelchair. From one of the team " Hopefully one of ours"
    Last edited by slow_runner; 09-30-2017 at 03:23 AM.

This should never happen!
    Don't frames have "lifetime" warranty?

Look at the bright side, NEW CHAIR !!!

How old is the chair?
    My Quickie broke there and its only 33 years old. I ordered a piece of tubing from aircraft supply place, but went to .125 wall from .085 factory.
    See if I can get a couple more out of it.

Quote Originally Posted by triumph View Post
    This should never happen!
    Don't frames have "lifetime" warranty?
    I am not sure on that, triumph. How long is a lifetime; at the first failure?

Quote Originally Posted by beecee View Post
    Look at the bright side, NEW CHAIR !!!
    Hi beecee. I know that some of it will be new. A completely new chair? That is not very likely but would be welcome

Quote Originally Posted by baldfatdad View Post
    How old is the chair? My Quickie broke there and its only 33 years old. I ordered a piece of tubing from aircraft supply place, but went to .125 wall from .085 factory. See if I can get a couple more out of it.
    33 years? That is remarkable. This chair is about 5 years old and otherwise in good nick.
    The crowd who take care of the maintenance have looked after me by supplying a loan chair (new) that day.
    Isn't that great?
    The new component parts will arrive next week(?) when they will repair my chair. They always give good service; often better than good

It will be interesting to discover if the new components are heavier wall or reinforced in some way.
    Also, a polite letter will be sent to Ki USA to alert them of this failure.
    Last edited by slow_runner; 10-02-2017 at 03:47 PM.