Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 31

Thread: Where to get pristeen in California

  1. #1

    Where to get pristeen in California

    Hi All,

    I was wondering where to go about getting Peristeen? I have no issues with getting a prescription but I can't find any resellers. Also, during my searches , I've noticed that people were saying you need to be trained? I can find no information on who is doing this training or where I am to find a lit of certified people to train. This might be a good solution fo rme and it's dam near impossible to find anything. Please help!

    E

  2. #2
    The outpatient clinic RN at Sharp Rehabilitation Center in San Diego is a certified Peristeen trainer. You will need a physician's order for the training and the supplies.

    You can also contact Coloplast through their website and they will get back to you with information on other training centers:
    https://www.coloplast.us/Bladder-and...wel-solutions/

    (KLD)
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

  3. #3
    Again, emanshiu, I highly suggest the IryPump S. It is far less invasive and far less expensive in the long run than Peristeen. Unless it's covered by insurance (didn't think it was last time I checked), there is literally no reason in my mind to buy the Peristeen.

    Why shove a single use plastic catheter in your anus (aren't they $10 a unit?), have tubing running everywhere, have balloons burst, and have to manually pump water in?

    The IryPump S is a small soft 6-month reusable cone you put in the end of the anus and the shape creates a seal. There's a single tube that goes to a battery powered unit that is smaller than the Peristeen. You turn a single knob and it instills water into your colon.

    To each his/her own, but I'm honestly suggesting you go the route of the IryPump S. Far less parts, far less work, and far less money in the long run for the same effect.

  4. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by paraparajumper View Post
    Again, emanshiu, I highly suggest the IryPump S. It is far less invasive and far less expensive in the long run than Peristeen. Unless it's covered by insurance (didn't think it was last time I checked), there is literally no reason in my mind to buy the Peristeen.

    Why shove a single use plastic catheter in your anus (aren't they $10 a unit?), have tubing running everywhere, have balloons burst, and have to manually pump water in?

    The IryPump S is a small soft 6-month reusable cone you put in the end of the anus and the shape creates a seal. There's a single tube that goes to a battery powered unit that is smaller than the Peristeen. You turn a single knob and it instills water into your colon.

    To each his/her own, but I'm honestly suggesting you go the route of the IryPump S. Far less parts, far less work, and far less money in the long run for the same effect.

    I will look into this then. I didn't even know about it. Thank you!

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    San Diego, CA, USA
    Posts
    319
    I am an old paraplegic, 51 years in the chair, but new colon irrigator. There is information on the IryPump S on my DIY Pulse Irrigation post from a few days ago. As described there I am doing it with a simple hand pump and minimal expense. Day 5, so I am very new, but so far it has been a life changer. Should have done it years ago.

    I know the Sharp nurse, and she is great. We talked about Peristeen, but it is not covered by my insurance, and it is outrageously expensive out of pocket.
    T4 complete, 150 ft fall, 1966. Completely fused hips, partially fused knees and spine, heterotopic ossification. Unsuccessful DREZ surgery about 1990. Successful bladder augmentation using small intestine about 1992. Normal SCI IC UTI problems culminating in a hospital stay in 2001. No antibiotics or doctor visits for UTI since 2001: d-mannose. Your mileage may vary.

  6. #6
    Many people reuse the Peristeen catheters, and it is covered by many insurances now.

    (KLD)
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

  7. #7
    Like KLD says, the Peristeen catheters are reusable. I would love to see the IryPump with the Peristeen catheter. That would be the perfect solution for me.

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
    The outpatient clinic RN at Sharp Rehabilitation Center in San Diego is a certified Peristeen trainer. You will need a physician's order for the training and the supplies.

    You can also contact Coloplast through their website and they will get back to you with information on other training centers:
    https://www.coloplast.us/Bladder-and...wel-solutions/

    (KLD)

    thank you for that, I've called them and waiting for a call back. I live in the bay area and wonder if ther4e's anything here.

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
    The outpatient clinic RN at Sharp Rehabilitation Center in San Diego is a certified Peristeen trainer. You will need a physician's order for the training and the supplies.

    You can also contact Coloplast through their website and they will get back to you with information on other training centers:
    https://www.coloplast.us/Bladder-and...wel-solutions/

    (KLD)
    Quote Originally Posted by emanshiu View Post
    thank you for that, I've called them and waiting for a call back. I live in the bay area and wonder if ther4e's anything here.
    I filled out the contact form at the Coloplast site and am awaiting a return call as well. I too am in the San Francisco Bay area. I suspect training centers will be University of California San Francisco, Rehab center at Santa Clara and/or Stanford University Medical Center.

    Is Peristeen covered by Medicare?
    Last edited by gjnl; 09-29-2017 at 07:42 PM.

  10. #10
    let me know if you hear back and I'll do the same

Similar Threads

  1. California, here we come :)!
    By rickhemi in forum New SCI
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 12-17-2004, 06:46 PM
  2. California the Key??
    By Donny247 in forum Cure
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 11-05-2004, 01:44 PM
  3. Help in California?
    By calico in forum Pain
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 02-28-2003, 11:26 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •