Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: pacemaker

Quote Originally Posted by gjnl View Post
    Why did your family have an issue with a pacemaker that raises your heart rate to a normal level?

A pacemaker isn't going to help with low blood pressure. The only thing that helps with that are certain drugs and to a lesser degree some non drug practices like drinking a lot of water before you get up in an upright position, wearing an abdominal binder, and wearing compression stockings.
    I been that way all my life and nebver sick nothing wrong my brother is lower than I am he is 60 had his first time being sick this year last year fiest ever cavity in teeth only time I get light headed is if I eat then get physical low blood pressure was our normal

th

Quote Originally Posted by vjls View Post
    I been that way all my life and nebver sick nothing wrong my brother is lower than I am he is 60 had his first time being sick this year last year fiest ever cavity in teeth only time I get light headed is if I eat then get physical low blood pressure was our normal

th
    The condition of low blood pressure after eating is called post prandial hypotension. This isn't an unusual condition, especially in older individuals.

Having lower than what is considered normal blood pressure isn't necessarily related to "been that way all my life and nebver (sic) sick," dental caries or anything else.

I think you need to touch base with your cardiologist and understand why you have a pacemaker...there must be some kind of heart rhythm or rate problem...it is not blood pressure.

agree with gjnl you need to get to the root cause of the pacemaker placement in the first place

There are people who have bradycardia (low heart rate) and hypotension (low BP) but usually there are other symptoms or cardiac findings (atrial fibrillation - irregular heart rate) that accompany that would justify getting a pacemaker.

Best wishes following up with your cardiologist.

pbr
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Quote Originally Posted by gjnl View Post
    National Heart Lung and Blood Institute: https://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/health/hea.../pace/whoneeds

Who Needs a Pacemaker?

Doctors recommend pacemakers for many reasons. The most common reasons are bradycardia and heart block.

Bradycardia is a heartbeat that is slower than normal. Heart block is a disorder that occurs if an electrical signal is slowed or disrupted as it moves through the heart.
    Heart block can happen as a result of aging, damage to the heart from a heart attack, or other conditions that disrupt the heart's electrical activity. Some nerve and muscle disorders also can cause heart block, including muscular dystrophy.
    Your doctor also may recommend a pacemaker if:

• Aging or heart disease damages your sinus node's ability to set the correct pace for your heartbeat. Such damage can cause slower than normal heartbeats or long pauses between heartbeats. The damage also can cause your heart to switch between slow and fast rhythms. This condition is called sick sinus syndrome.
    • You've had a medical procedure to treat an arrhythmia called atrial fibrillation. A pacemaker can help regulate your heartbeat after the procedure.
    • You need to take certain heart medicines, such as beta blockers. These medicines can slow your heartbeat too much.
    • You faint or have other symptoms of a slow heartbeat. For example, this may happen if the main artery in your neck that supplies your brain with blood is sensitive to pressure. Just quickly turning your neck can cause your heart to beat slower than normal. As a result, your brain might not get enough blood flow, causing you to feel faint or collapse.
    • You have heart muscle problems that cause electrical signals to travel too slowly through your heart muscle. Your pacemaker may provide cardiac resynchronization therapy (CRT) for this problem. CRT devices coordinate electrical signaling between the heart's lower chambers.
    • You have long QT syndrome, which puts you at risk for dangerous arrhythmias.

Doctors also may recommend pacemakers for people who have certain types of congenital heart disease or for people who have had heart transplants. Children, teens, and adults can use pacemakers.
    Before recommending a pacemaker, your doctor will consider any arrhythmia symptoms you have, such as dizziness, unexplained fainting, or shortness of breath. He or she also will consider whether you have a history of heart disease, what medicines you're currently taking, and the results of heart tests.

"Tvot," I think you may need to speak with your cardiologist again for these reasons:
    1. Lisinopril
    This drug belongs to a class of drugs called angiotensin-converting enzyme (ACE) inhibitors. It is used used to treat high blood pressure and heart failure. It’s also used to improve your chance of survival after a heart attack. This drug relaxes the blood vessels in your body. This reduces stress on your heart and lowers your blood pressure. When you sit up you usually have lower blood pressure than when you are lying down. Those of us with higher spinal cord injuries can suffer from postural hypotension, which means our blood pressures drop when we sit up. Many of us take drugs to raise our blood pressure when we are sitting. These drugs are Midodrine, Fludricort, and Northera.

My guess is your blood pressure is low when you are sitting up and you need to take something to raise your blood pressure in that position. Were you in a sitting position when you fainted? If you are taking this medication when you are sitting up, your blood pressure should drop, not increase. This medication will only make your low blood pressure worse when you are sitting up.

2. Fludrocortisone, Fludrocort, Florinef Acetate
    Fludrocortisone belongs to a class of medications called corticosteroids. It works by reducing salt loss, increasing potassium loss, and increasing blood pressure.

Blood pressure is higher when we are in a supine position (lying down) than when we are sitting up. If you are taking this medication when you are lying down, your blood pressure could increase to dangerously high levels, possibly even triggering an Autonomic Dysreflexia (AD) event, which can be deadly. In quadriplegics, AD occurs when the bladder is overfull, stimulation to the anus during a bowel program, constipation, in grown toe nails and other problems that may cause pain, but isn't interpreted correctly by the nervous system. In your case this medication may be raising your blood pressure too much when you are in bed.

3. (AV Block) Atrioventricular block
    This block is partial or complete interruption of impulse transmission from the atria to the ventricles. If you have first-degree heart block, you may not need treatment. If you have second-degree heart block, you may need a pacemaker. A pacemaker is a small device that's placed under the skin of your chest or abdomen. This device uses electrical pulses to prompt the heart to beat at a normal rate.

It is possible that at the time the AV Block was diagnosed it was a first degree, but the cardiologist decided to treat you anyway with a pacemaker, likely because of your spinal cord injury. Your current cardiologist may have determined that you AV Block doesn't need treatment and that is why he removed the pacemaker in July. If I were you I would want to know what the current situation is with a formerly diagnosed AV Block and why I don't need a pacemaker now to treat it.

4. Your Current Blood Pressure
    A blood pressure of 70/130 is not normal in anyone. Blood pressure is measured using two numbers. The first number, called systolic blood pressure, measures the pressure in your blood vessels when your heart beats. The second number, called diastolic blood pressure, measures the pressure in your blood vessels when your heart rests between beats.If the measurement reads 120 systolic and 80 diastolic, you would say “120 over 80” or write “120/80 mmHg.” A normal blood pressure is systolic: less than 120 mmHg and diastolic: less than 80mmHg. A blood pressure at risk for hypertension is systolic: 120–139 mmHg and diastolic: 80–89 mmHg. High blood pressure or hypertension is systolic: 140 mmHg or higher and diastolic: 90 mmHg or higher.

I have low blood pressure when I am sitting up and that reading with medication is usually about 90/65, although it can drop lower, without medication. I take Midodrine just before getting up in the morning, take it a couple times during the day, and do not take it before bed time, when I will be in a supine position. Midodrine is used to treat low blood pressure (hypotension). It works by stimulating nerve endings in blood vessels, causing the blood vessels to tighten. As a result, blood pressure is increased.

yes i will be getting a second opinion. and yes, i was fainting sitting up. if i reclined quick enough, it wouldn't happen. btw i blew my sanity fuse and was basically laying prone in bed 16 months.
    Wish I didn't know now what I didn't know then.
    Bob Seger