Thread: Won't boot

Won't boot

I have a (another) problem with my PC.

When we get a power outage, I have to unplug it for at least an hour or it will not boot up past the bios.

I was adding a video and on restart, it would not boot. (The card worked enough to see the boot screen on my TV)

I have it unplugged and will try it in the morning.

I read some internet posts that sounded familiar and the fix for some of them was a new power supply.

My power supply is 500 watts but after researching it, it was not reviewed well.

My new video card is compatible with my PC and does not require additional power.

----------------------------------------------

Can a faulty PSU cause the problems that I've described above?

Faulty PSU, motherboard, system battery.
    ^^(A)^^

Thanks, I'll start with a battery.

It makes me think motherboard, considering your audio issue seems to be related to your MB.

It may be time to go Pascal or Ryzen.
    Rollin' since '89. Complete C8

If the battery doesn't fix it, I'll swap out the psu with my older PC. If that fails, I'll get a new mobo. It doesn't have to be super powerful as I only use it to watch/burn DVD movies and streaming video/music.

First thought of what are your drivers correct and current. If the power supply is actually running the computer, doubt that have anything to do with your video card problem.

your computer motherboard should have some type of the built-in video output whether it be VGA, HDMI, or something else. Try that video and see what it does your power supply.

You may need to take the video card out and re-seat it.

How old is the motherboard, the built-in video display from the motherboard may be quite sufficient for your needs. If you're not a heavy-duty gamer.

These are just off the top of my head, give me some more information may be able to help you better. However, it does not sound like the power supply if it is running your hard drives, and start to boot your computer.

No longer add a video cards, the output from the motherboard is sufficient for 4K video.

the time and trouble the purchase of motherboard and install it. Think about buying a minicomputer with 4K, Dolby 7.1, microphone, USB ports, HDMI output and completely's silent is only about 4" x 4".

Go to Amazon and type in minicomputers and look at what those things can do now. It may be cheaper and easier than buying motherboard.

I went ahead and bought a new motherboard, psu and ssd. I didn't feel like testing each one at a time to find the guilty party. Its working good and should stay that way for a long while (knock on wood).

Thanks though.

My PSU is like that if there are power quality problems. Must use AC 220V step down auto transformer with filter built in. Won?t start after power fail. I don?t see BIOS. It just won?t turn on.

I'm curious to see what happens when the power goes out again, now that I replaced everything. It didn't make sense to me why it wouldn't boot up after a power loss. I'd like to know that I'm safe now, but I'm not gonna pull the plug to find out.