Thread: Stiffness

Stiffness

I'm 15 years post and recently my shoulders and back and arms have been incredibly stiff, even weak sometimes.
    I haven't been doing anything differently.
    What's the best ways ease the muscles? more stretching, exercise clearly, but is this just a symptom of aging in a chair? Does it get worse?

I’m not as far into it as you but I would definitely recomentbmire daily stretches , exercise , go get a good massage that helps me out when I get stuff they get those good stiff frozen stuff out and loosens me up pretty good but try to go often so it slowly gets better. But you will be really soar and maybe feel worst the first couple time but once your used to it the pain will go away but I highly recomend it. If you haven’t gone for one and would like to try message me I have a membership at massage envy and if you have any near you I have a lot stacked up and I can transfer one to you to see how you like it. All I ask is younpay the $10 transfer fee. I paid $70 for it so I’m hookin you up I just have so many and and do t go as much any more and want to cancel my monthly but don’t want to loose the ones I have saved up lol but yes a massage will help alot

Have you talked to your doctor, PT about it? It could be so many things, I'd hate to speculate and send you down the wrong path. You could do massage, or exercise and without a medical opinion, hide something more serious.

I have to agree with baldfatdad. What you describe seems to be more than the usual type of soreness we all experience from time to time. A blood test, CBC would be a good test to start with.
    I refuse to tip toe through life, only to arrive safely at death.

Thanks all. You're probably right. I just hate going to the doctor's office.
    I'll try more water, exercise and stretching first!
    Jeramie630 - I'm in Canada and don't have a massage envy here. Thanks for the offer though!

Therabands. I keep one by my bed, used to keep one at work and one by my desk at home. Invaluable!
    Make America Sane Again. lol

T-11 Flaccid Paraplegic due to TM July 1985 @ age 12

Stretching is always the best place to start
    If you don't use it you lose it

If after restarting an exercise/maintenance program and you are still weak then get that checked out as to the root cause of the weakness

pbr
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.