Thread: Question for the nurses re toenail removal problems

Question for the nurses re toenail removal problems

I'm a 48 year old incomplete T11/12 with Spina Bifida, In June 2016 I elected to have the big toenail on my right foot removed, I've been experiencing pain ever since. The surgeon has done two revisions on the toe. The area he revised in April was giving me no issues until about 6 weeks ago.

Do toenail removals in long term paralysis tend to be problematic or is this more likely to be a issue of poor surgical technique?

I tend to be a slow healer with somewhat sluggish circulation in my feet although testing like Doppler does come back with normal results. I do have a fair bit of edema, because of the edema & color of my feet Dr.s tend to freak out when they see my feet although everything including pulses test normal.

The surgeon has never had a issue like this in 30 years of practice and he's somewhat unwilling to give it another go. I'm worried that the area he did in June is going to start acting up although he says he went down to bone when he did that one.

I know I can take pain killers but I would rather have the problem fixed then just masking the issue with pain killers.

Can you provide any insight as to what maybe going on here?

He's a general surgeon, we don't have a podiatrist here. This particular surgeon has done surgeries of various nature on other people with SCI in town and is well thought of.

In a nutshell I'm tired of being in pain & frustrated that the most minor surgical I've ever had done in my life is the one giving me the most grief (25 surgeries+ in my lifetime including a number of foot surgeries which all turned out fine) The surgeon is also frustrated and is a big believer in "First do no harm"- really worried about making things worse.
    Last edited by canuck; 09-25-2017 at 08:56 PM.

I would get a second opinion from a podiatrist and from a physiatrist about the residual pain.

If you had an outcome that the surgeon was even surprised by, you can understand why he wouldn't want to do surgery again. It could not get better or could get worse. Physicians take a motto of "Do no harm"

Additionally, it could be something completely not related to the surgery.

pbr
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Thanks, so far so good on the part he redid in June it's just the corner he did back in April that hurts..

I agree with pbr. I would get a second opinion, if at all possible. I know that you said there wasn't a podiatrist near you, but is there another surgeon who could take a look?

ckf
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

The General Surgeon who did it has discussed my case with the other General Surgeons & one of the Orthopedic Surgeons in town, they were all pretty much stumped. I'm hoping this right corner is just a case of he missed a piece of nail. As far as a actual referral it would take awhile and since all the General Surgeons in town work out of the same building it adds a bit of awkwardness to the situation, they are pretty close bunch & are highly unlikely to say something negative about one of the other dr.s
    Last edited by canuck; 10-03-2017 at 11:46 AM. Reason: Added detail