Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Landrover...Wish you good luck on your...

Landrover...Wish you good luck on your...

Trip...You have my number call or text if you need help!

Cant wait to hear the stories!!

Thanks, sadly I just returned. My only regret is that I did not book a longer stay. Would have preferred to do 10-14 days looking back on it now. So much to see and do. Firstly, I have to commend JAL. They were extremely attentive when it came to my chair. They asked question upon question on how to handle it, the dos/don'ts, etc. For the first time I felt 100% confident that my chair would arrive in one piece. The flight itself (14 hours) was no picnic. I can't see myself doing a flight like that again. Sadly my skin suffered for it, I could just not find a way to get a sufficient weight shift.

Tokyo itself is AMAZING. The people were even more amazing. The kindest, most helpful people I have ever been around! The city itself is very accessible, although many of the small stores and restaurants are either not accessible, or too small to accommodate a wheelchair. The subway system is top notch, but can be a bit overwhelming. Avoid rush hour.

All of the sites we visited were accessible. Tokyo has and does everything on a magnificent scale. If it was 6 or so hours away, I'd go back in an instant!

Agreed, Tokyo is amazing, did you get a photo of Godzilla? I'm off to do Hiroshima, Kyoto & Osaka in the spring.

How long is the flight from Sweden?

Vancouver WA USA - - Male T4 ASIA B incomplete
    Was the subway wheelchair accessible? Any issues with a wheelchair on the subway?

The subway system was fully accessible at all the stations we used (and we used quite a few). For individuals who need a ramp to manage the gap between the platform and subway car, you simply need to stop at a window by the fare gates, inform staff that you need a ramp, along with your destination. They will then take you to the appropriate platform, place the ramp when the train comes, and radio ahead to your destination to have staff with a ramp waiting. It was quite impressive.

Quote Originally Posted by landrover View Post
    How long is the flight from Sweden?
    It's a little over 13 hours from Stockholm with a change of plane in Copenhagen. Sorry I missed your original thread about travelling there.

Quote Originally Posted by NW-Will View Post
    Was the subway wheelchair accessible? Any issues with a wheelchair on the subway?
    The subway/train lines are mostly accessible, at some stations you must use a certain entrance or 'barrier-free' route which are all shown on the Tokyo metro website. I'm a T3 para who travels solo and didn't encounter any major problems, spending many hours riding the subway just to soak in the culture (and to use the free wifi). The trickiest part is finding your way through the larger stations such as Shibuya & Shinjuku (#1 & #2 busiest train stations in the world) but when you get the hang of it, it's logical.

Accessible tourist info: http://accessible.jp.org/tokyo/
    Subway access: http://www.japan-accessible.com/tran...etro/tokyo.htm

Quote Originally Posted by sarcastrix View Post
    It's a little over 13 hours from Stockholm with a change of plane in Copenhagen. Sorry I missed your original thread about travelling there.
    Doubt it is that long of a flight from the East Coast (Boston or NYC). It took me 13 hours to fly to Oslo non-stop from LAX. Check out cheap fares on either Icelandic Air, WOW or Norwegian Air. With them, you can do an stop (several days even) in Iceland at no extra cost to break up the time flying if you want to.

(KLD)
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
    Check out cheap fares on either Icelandic Air, WOW or Norwegian Air. With them, you can do an stop (several days even) in Iceland at no extra cost to break up the time flying if you want to.

(KLD)
    Personally, i'd skip WOW if I was you the base fare is low because they're an Ultra-Ultra Low-Cost Carrier - everything is extra and you fly on A321/330's with very thin, unsupportive seats with no or very little recline. Same goes for Norwegian with their 737MAX aircraft which are now being used on the East Coast USA to West Coast Europe routes. If you buy the base fare - even water and a blanket cost extra. Norwegian's 787 Dreamliners have better seating, however when you include the cost of luggage, meals and a reserved seat their rivals (United, SAS etc) are competitive on price.

I've flown Norwegian 737's several times on inner-Europe routes and never had any problems, same goes for Ryanair who I fly several times a year - but I certainly wouldn't use them for anything longer than a few hours due to the lack of legroom and the aforementioned thin seats with no recline and poorly trained/disinterested staff.

For the sake of EU vs USA comparison, Norwegian & Ryanair compare to USA airline Sprint whereas WOW is rated lower.

WOW air Skytrax rating 3/10

Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
    Doubt it is that long of a flight from the East Coast (Boston or NYC). It took me 13 hours to fly to Oslo non-stop from LAX.
    From where to where? LAX - Stockholm is under 11 hours with SAS, you must have got a slow plane
    Last edited by sarcastrix; 10-12-2017 at 06:32 AM. Reason: typos

I am going by memory about the times (flight was in 2015), but I was on a Norwegian 787, had great service, comfortable seats, a nice entertainment system at your seat, and although I did buy meals (no charge for non-alcohol beverages), my fare was still almost half of what I would have paid for SAS/Delta/United. I was also nervous about using them due to their reputation as a cheapie airline in Europe, but I was pleasantly surprised. I would not hesitate to use Norwegian again to fly from LAX to Scandinavia. This year I took KLM to Amsterdam, and found that it was very comparable to my Norwegian experience.

(KLD)
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.