Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: DIY Pulse Irrigation for $20

DIY Pulse Irrigation for $20

Decided to try a homebrew Pulse Irrigation Machine. It consists of:

• A Marine Transfer Fuel Pump with 6 mm end fittings (two pumps for about $11 on eBay). Three squeezes on the pump moves 100 mL of water.
    • 10 feet of quarter inch id x three eights inch od vinyl tubing, 10 feet of 0.170 inch id x quarter inch od vinyl tubing (both from Home Depot, about $7). Used about 6 feet of the quarter inch id tubing from pump to jug and pump to catheter, and about an inch of the quarter inch od tubing to join the larger tubing and the catheter.
    • A Coloplast 14 Fr vinyl Self-Cath catheter from my stock.
    • A plastic gallon jug.

Put about 3 liters of warm water in the jug on the floor beside the toilet, set up the pump / tubing, and got on the toilet. Emptied my rectum in the usual dig stim fashion, lubed the catheter, put about one third to one half of the catheter in my rectum / colon. This first time ever was bit tricky, but practice will make perfect.

The first few squeezes drained right out. Discovered that if I pressed gently on my anus / hemorrhoid / rectum, the water would stay in.

After 9 squeezes (300 mL), the water started to dribble out. Released the pressure on my rectum, and there was a small flood of water and poop.

Repeated this procedure two or three more times. Each time I started to dribble after 300 mL, and a release produced a small flood. The final flood did not seem to have any poop, so I declared victory and quit.

Used a total of about 1500 mL of water. It took about 200 mL to fill the tubing, and then three or four sessions of 300 mL for the irrigation, some water went into the toilet making sure the line was free of air, and some was used at the start just draining out. There was never more than 300 mL inside of me at any time.

When it was over, I did another gentle dig stim just to make sure there was no waiting drainage, and transferred to the shower for cleanup.

After getting back in bed and flat on my back, I could feel poop in the upper part of my descending colon. So, this did not remotely clean out my even the descending colon, but it was more effective, much faster, and worlds easier, than sitting there and grunting. And I feel good. Not bloated, and not utterly drained and exhausted. These two extremes, plus unplanned dumps, have been the normal for the past couple of years. Enemeez, suppositories, senna, Miralax, flax seed meal, diet .... have not solved the problem.

My plan is to do this every day for a week, and then try to move to once every two days. If that is successful, then I hope to start doing it at night before bed rather than first thing in the morning.

Anyone else out there doing this? Any thoughts from the SCI nurse?

Thanks for reading.
    Last edited by gac3rd; 09-25-2017 at 12:18 AM. Reason: fractional inches did not display
    T4 complete, 150 ft fall, 1966. Completely fused hips, partially fused knees and spine, heterotopic ossification. Unsuccessful DREZ surgery about 1990. Successful bladder augmentation using small intestine about 1992. Normal SCI IC UTI problems culminating in a hospital stay in 2001. No antibiotics or doctor visits for UTI since 2001: d-mannose. Your mileage may vary.

Purchase an Irypump S from GoldPharma.com . The site seems shady, but I received mine. It is not approved by the FDA in US for who knows what reason, but it is the best decision I made for my bowel program. Cut my time on the toilet in half from 1 hour to 30 minutes.

I usually irrigate every day but I can go every other day, I just feel a bit bloated on the days I don't go. I use 1000mL. The pump instills it, I hold the cone in for 2 minutes after it's in, then remove the cone. My body gets rid of most water/feces, but then I use dig-stim to finish it off.

Used to use Enemeez, now I only use water. Probably not FDA approved because it wouldn't make any money.

Thanks for responding papaparajumper. Read your stage 4 post and you have my heart. I have not been there - but, after 51 years in a chair, I can see it from here. We all live on the edge of a razor blade. Congratulations on the first year of med school. May you see better times.

The Irypump S pump looks interesting. Colostomy irrigation dropped out of style in this country, but it seems to be making a comeback among colostomy patients. Good thinking to adapt it to your situation. I can still squeeze the fuel transfer bulb pump, it seems to work for me, and the cost is unbeatable.

The PIEmed.com machine is FDA approved for private in home use, and millions of people all over the world get colon cleansing treatment every year - Angel of Water and Libbe at colonic.net (FDA approved) seem to be exactly what I am doing. I look forward to the SCI nurse weighing in, but I it seems as long as we don't somehow puncture ourselves, or try to clean out the entire colon on a regular basis, we are pretty safe.

My second day was a bit messier than the first - still in the learning phase. But, my descending colon now feels empty, and this is much easier and faster than my old dig and grunt method. Also, I FEEL GOOD! Bring in Chuck Berry. Not bloated, and not drained and exhausted. Like you, this is shaping up to be the best thing ever for my bowel program.

I am rethinking the every two days. Like you, I may do it every day (it is quick and easy) and use the every two days when needed. Some time and experience will tell.

Thanks again for responding. May you and your ass be blessed. I wish you the best.
    T4 complete, 150 ft fall, 1966. Completely fused hips, partially fused knees and spine, heterotopic ossification. Unsuccessful DREZ surgery about 1990. Successful bladder augmentation using small intestine about 1992. Normal SCI IC UTI problems culminating in a hospital stay in 2001. No antibiotics or doctor visits for UTI since 2001: d-mannose. Your mileage may vary.

Quote Originally Posted by paraparajumper View Post
    Purchase an Irypump S from GoldPharma.com . The site seems shady, but I received mine. It is not approved by the FDA in US for who knows what reason, but it is the best decision I made for my bowel program. Cut my time on the toilet in half from 1 hour to 30 minutes.

I usually irrigate every day but I can go every other day, I just feel a bit bloated on the days I don't go. I use 1000mL. The pump instills it, I hold the cone in for 2 minutes after it's in, then remove the cone. My body gets rid of most water/feces, but then I use dig-stim to finish it off.

Used to use Enemeez, now I only use water. Probably not FDA approved because it wouldn't make any money.
    Thanks for posting this information. I've been searching for a long time trying to find a supplier of the cones. I use something similar to what gac3rd does. I have read a lot of good reviews on the Irypumps. I may be wrong but it seems like the cone would be a better alternative to the nozzles used with enema kits.. Wouldn't allow water to pass back around the device? That has been my problem with using the nozzles.

Very cool! I've been using the Peristeen for years with great results -- had never heard of the Irypump until I just read your post. Looks interesting and maybe less prone to failure (e.g., tubing connectors that crap out; rectal catheter cuffs that pop).

Quote Originally Posted by gac3rd View Post
    I look forward to the SCI nurse weighing in, but I it seems as long as we don't somehow puncture ourselves, or try to clean out the entire colon on a regular basis, we are pretty safe.
    She may chime in with caution about the possibility of developing megacolon. I've been during irrigation for years even before I started with the Peristeen -- I would wager that I've "logged" more hours with the Peristeen than probably anyone on the planet -- and my colon is in perfect shape as determined by a recent colonoscopy.

How effective is the Irypump cone from keeping the water from seeping out during instillation? The Irypump is way more affordable than the Peristeen.

Quote Originally Posted by stephen212 View Post
    How effective is the Irypump cone from keeping the water from seeping out during instillation? The Irypump is way more affordable than the Peristeen.
    I did a lot of research before purchasing the Irypump. Overall, it's just a better unit in terms of cost, size, ease of use, etc.

The cone works fantastic, I've never had an issue. Sometimes a little bit of water seeps out if your body wants to expel it while you're instilling, but I just breath and hold it in. You're basically using one arm to plug up your anus. Otherwise, it's a simple turn of the knob to prime the tubing with water, inserting the cone, and then turning the dial back on to let the pump do the work. No costly catheters, or balloons, or having to use 2 hands. It's such a fabulous unit and I see no reason why it's not FDA approved.

I checked GoldPharma yesterday because I need to order more cones/tubing, and it seems the unit is still at the same price, around $648. The cone/tubing should be replaced every 6 months, although I disinfect both once and awhile and have pushed it longer. If I recall, Peristeen recommends using each catheter one time!? And at $15 a pop?!?!?

To put things in perspective, The Irypump set which includes one cone/tubing ($648) plus 3 extra sets of cones/tubing ($120), which is enough for 2 years worth of irrigation comes out to $768. Before I started irrigating, I would spend $960/yr ($80/mo) alone on Enemeez. I also used to spend over an hour on the toilet, now it's 30 minutes from start to finish.

I can't say better things about the Irypump. The GoldPharma website does look a little sketchy, and I was worried at first I may receive nothing, but in the end it worked out. I can vouch for the legitimacy of the site.

I purchased a $20 Polaroid camera hard case with the foam sections you can remove and made my own travel case for the Irypump, because I didn't want it to get damaged. Here's some photos:

I have cathed myself to drain urine about 45,000 times. So I have some idea what I am doing. Have done the colon irrigation 4 times, and each day is a new day with new things being learned every time.

What I am doing is a bit different from what I understand about the Peristeen or of the IryPump S. As I understand it both of these put a set amount of water, typically one liter, into the colon, hold it for some time, release and call it a day. I put in water 30 mL at a time, mostly let it release whenever it wants, and repeat. The most I have ever put in at one time is 300 mL, and the maximum is usually closer to 200 mL. But I might use a 1.5 to 2 liters in the whole process. The only thing that is clear is that it is much better than the little micro-hell of a bowel program I have been in for the past few years. It seems to me that colon irrigation should be taught as part of any rehab program. Not only is it better and faster, I just feel better for the rest of the day than I did before.

stephen212 - Looking around the forums I gather you have used the PIEmed device, the Peristeen, and your own home made devices. Can you share thoughts on trade offs given your experience? Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by stephen212 View Post
    She may chime in with caution about the possibility of developing megacolon. I've been during irrigation for years even before I started with the Peristeen -- I would wager that I've "logged" more hours with the Peristeen than probably anyone on the planet -- and my colon is in perfect shape as determined by a recent colonoscopy.
    where can I get this int he US? I've been trying to find it....