Thread: Replacing Torn Chair Seat With Stronger Upholstery

Question Replacing Torn Chair Seat With Stronger Upholstery

I use a Drive brand wheelchair to get around my home. I bought it for cash a few years ago. The insurance is not involved, and I assume that the warranty did not transfer.

The naugahyde upholstery that makes up the seat tore while I was sitting on it. I was not hurt. I weigh comfortably less than the chair is supposed to hold.

My friend took some webbing and installed it between the bars either side of the seat to make a temporary fix. The torn seat rests on the top for the moment.

I would like to replace the seat upholstery, and install the new seat on top of the webbing. I can buy the same part from Drive or other vendors, all at about the same price, but it may tear again, so I would prefer to buy something stronger. The size is about 19 inches by 18 inches, with 6 holes with grommets on each side. The official part is listed as 20 inches wide. I am not sure why the measurement differs.

How can I search on the internet for an OEM part that is better than what the wheelchair manufacturer offers to sell me? I don't know if anyone actually sells this kind of thing, or how I would find them if they did.

If I wanted to make this kind of thing myself, I don't know what I would make it from or what would be involved.

To preclude suggestions which might seem logical, I do not want to spend on getting a better chair, although these likely exist, and getting someone else to pay for my chair is also not a road I want to go down at the moment. Sportaid and spinlife do not seem to deal with parts for Drive brand chairs. I assume that people whose insurance covers their chairs get better brands and that those are the primary shoppers at sportaid and spinlife.

Any suggestions? Thanks.

You could try an automotive upholstery shop.

Thanks for the suggestion.

Are you concerned about pressure that could cause skin break down?

I live with a para, which is why I joined this forum. I can walk a little, so skin breakdown is not a concern for me yet, but I use a wheelchair a bit too.