Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 11

Thread: spinergy spox tool

  1. #1
    Senior Member sowseng's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
    Posts
    968

    spinergy spox tool

    Would like to true my Spinergy Spox rim, should I use the normal spoke tool or there is a special tool for Spinergy wheel?

    Is it necessary to remove the handrim and tyre before truing the wheel?
    Life is meaningles, though you create the purpose.

  2. #2
    Quote Originally Posted by sowseng View Post
    Would like to true my Spinergy Spox rim, should I use the normal spoke tool or there is a special tool for Spinergy wheel?

    Is it necessary to remove the handrim and tyre before truing the wheel?
    These are the tools that came with my spinergy wheels. No need to remove the handrim or tire.


    My spinergy rims are like 10 years old. Newer rims use a different design.
    T12 Complete since 1982. TiLite Tx

  3. #3
    Senior Member sowseng's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
    Posts
    968
    Quote Originally Posted by rshadd View Post
    These are the tools that came with my spinergy wheels. No need to remove the handrim or tire.


    My spinergy rims are like 10 years old. Newer rims use a different design.
    Do you need to check the tension of the spoke when you true the wheel?
    Life is meaningles, though you create the purpose.

  4. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by sowseng View Post
    Do you need to check the tension of the spoke when you true the wheel?
    I have only trued one ordinary wheel following instructions off youtube. But how could you have both equal tension and truing? Forget tension. Tightening those spokes might be spooking though. I'd find out how first.
    I have had periodic paralysis all my life. I lost my ability to walk in 2011 beginning with a spinal block, which was used for a hip fracture caused by periodic paralysis.

  5. #5
    Senior Member sowseng's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
    Posts
    968
    Quote Originally Posted by nonoise View Post
    I have only trued one ordinary wheel following instructions off youtube. But how could you have both equal tension and truing? Forget tension. Tightening those spokes might be spooking though. I'd find out how first.
    I heard that spinergy has some spoke tension limit.
    Life is meaningles, though you create the purpose.

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by sowseng View Post
    I heard that spinergy has some spoke tension limit.
    I believe it. I think you should be able to ping all of them in the mid section and listen to the tone. Do this to a "good" wheel first to get an idea. While tightening, if the pitch gets really high, back off. Another way might be by feel. Just wiggle the middle and see how tight the spoke(s) seem, again comparing with a known good wheel. I don't really know if these methods work on spinergy, but what have you got to loose? Doesn't a spoke cost about $5 US?

    edit: I remember reading Spinergy heat treats after assembly. Good luck.
    Last edited by nonoise; 10-18-2017 at 02:18 PM.
    I have had periodic paralysis all my life. I lost my ability to walk in 2011 beginning with a spinal block, which was used for a hip fracture caused by periodic paralysis.

  7. #7
    Senior Member sowseng's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
    Posts
    968
    Quote Originally Posted by nonoise View Post
    I believe it. I think you should be able to ping all of them in the mid section and listen to the tone. Do this to a "good" wheel first to get an idea. While tightening, if the pitch gets really high, back off. Another way might be by feel. Just wiggle the middle and see how tight the spoke(s) seem, again comparing with a known good wheel. I don't really know if these methods work on spinergy, but what have you got to loose? Doesn't a spoke cost about $5 US?

    edit: I remember reading Spinergy heat treats after assembly. Good luck.
    This was what Spinergy replied me:

    We suggest a bike shop where they can tension spokes and true wheels. They have the tools and technical know-how to avoid damaging a wheel and bringing it to peak performance.All bike shops have a Park Tools TM-1 tension meter. The spokes should be tightened to 19-22 for SPOX wheels.The spokes should be tightened to 23-25 on LX wheels. Overtightening the spokes can put the rim and/or hub at risk, and voids our warranty.
    Life is meaningles, though you create the purpose.

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by sowseng View Post
    This was what Spinergy replied me:

    We suggest a bike shop where they can tension spokes and true wheels. They have the tools and technical know-how to avoid damaging a wheel and bringing it to peak performance.All bike shops have a Park Tools TM-1 tension meter. The spokes should be tightened to 19-22 for SPOX wheels.The spokes should be tightened to 23-25 on LX wheels. Overtightening the spokes can put the rim and/or hub at risk, and voids our warranty.
    Cool. You got wheels with warranties? I don't. Mine are all old and second or third hand. Here is the parktool pitch. If you watch it clear to the end, all it really does is document that a dented or badly bent rim can't be properly tensioned. So the shop has something proof to hand the customer.
    I have had periodic paralysis all my life. I lost my ability to walk in 2011 beginning with a spinal block, which was used for a hip fracture caused by periodic paralysis.

  9. #9
    Senior Member sowseng's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
    Posts
    968
    Quote Originally Posted by nonoise View Post
    Cool. You got wheels with warranties? I don't. Mine are all old and second or third hand. Here is the parktool pitch. If you watch it clear to the end, all it really does is document that a dented or badly bent rim can't be properly tensioned. So the shop has something proof to hand the customer.
    My wheels came with the chair, I think no warranty too.
    Life is meaningles, though you create the purpose.

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by sowseng View Post
    My wheels came with the chair, I think no warranty too.
    I think warranty would depend on how old the chair is, but I've never had a new chair..
    Anyway I forgot to include the Parktool info sales pitch youtube above: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mb32h4PK_aU
    I have had periodic paralysis all my life. I lost my ability to walk in 2011 beginning with a spinal block, which was used for a hip fracture caused by periodic paralysis.

Similar Threads

  1. spinergy spox Portland, OR
    By T-tension in forum Equipment & Services
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 07-19-2012, 11:02 PM
  2. Try on Spox Spinergy and Right Run
    By sowseng in forum Equipment
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 03-28-2012, 09:39 AM
  3. 26" Spinergy spox
    By thermbug in forum Equipment & Services
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 07-27-2011, 11:50 PM
  4. Never used 25 inch SPOX Spinergy
    By NoDecafPlz in forum Equipment & Services
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 11-19-2009, 07:41 PM
  5. Spox Spinergy 24 in wheels
    By fuentejps in forum Equipment & Services
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 07-23-2006, 10:59 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •