Thread: Power chair issue, Jazzy 614 HD

Power chair issue, Jazzy 614 HD

I just moved into a new house. Upside is its already wheelchair accessible (lots of downsides with how furious I am I had to move in the first place, I paid for all the wheelchair accessibility changes in my last place and was supposed to be there long term...) Anyway, when I was viewing the place I noticed a power chair in the corner. I asked the landlord about it, if it had been left behind.. He said yes, and that it was having problems working. I mentioned if he wanted to leave it in the house he could... And he did. So, the chair will only go in circles. When you try to move forward it wants to circle forward to the left. Try to go backwards, and it circles to the right essentially. You can get to a new location extremely gradually, but for the most part it just wants to circle. Is it the joystick? Anyone know what could be wrong with it?
    Board Member of Assistance Dog Advocacy Project working in Education. Feel free to ask me any service dog questions!

I am not paralyzed. I have a genetic connective tissue disorder with neuro complications and a movement disorder.

Check if one of the motors is in freewheel, should be a lever around the motors, make sure they're both engaged. If it's not simple such as that then it'll probably be an expensive repair such as the controller or motor.

My assumption was the joystick/controller. Since it was abandoned by its former owner at the property, I doubt they would have engaged the motors in freewill and only put one back? I'll check.
    Last edited by ~Lin; 09-24-2017 at 04:52 AM.
    Board Member of Assistance Dog Advocacy Project working in Education. Feel free to ask me any service dog questions!

I am not paralyzed. I have a genetic connective tissue disorder with neuro complications and a movement disorder.

Controllers don't often go bad. I'd be looking for a bad connection. motor plug in or the motor lock outs all those should be producing some flashing fault lights on the hand control. If it does happen to be a motor then there are plenty on eBay Just match the part numbers on the motor. It just sounds like "one" motor is malfunctioning. Never try to guess why someone does something foolish, we all do something foolish at some point, we will never be able to explain

Quote Originally Posted by ~Lin View Post
    My assumption was the joystick/controller. Since it was abandoned by its former owner at the property, I doubt they would have engaged the motors in freewill and only put one back? I'll check.
    Not to be a downer, but it is a good chance that the previous owner of the chair died, and that is why the chair was "abandoned".

(KLD)
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

This is a cheap chair, Jazzy. There aren't any fault lights on the controller. Both motors were in gear not neutral. How do I search for a bad connection? And, which side motor would be the problem? If I try to turn the joystick to the right for example, it reverse spins, and of course forward and it spins forward to the left.

I don't think it was abandoned due to death but that is of course possible. My assumption was abandoned due to the malfunction. My landlord said the previous tenants trashed the place before leaving. It's got new linoleum and carpet, and the kitchen was gutted and had to be completely replaced. They even stole the chain link fencing off the back.

It's a HD chair so way too big for me to use, initially I hadn't realized that when I told the landlord to leave it. So that was disappointing, but if I could get it to work my bf could use it when he visits so we could get more stuff done and do more things together. Depends on the cost to repair it, otherwise hopefully I can find someone to give it to who needs it and can handle fixing it.