Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Cleaning bacteriostatic bags?

I got a response from Bard in response to my question, "What is the recommended cleaning protocol and procedure for the bacteriostatic urine drainage bags? Soap and water? Vinegar? Alcohol? Other?"

There answer:
    Attached Images Attached Images  

They are single use products, as advertised. Unfortunately, for many that is not an option. I am not sure what else to tell you other than you might want to switch products.....
    ckf
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

They've gone around in circles with me, never giving direct answers.

I've gone to bacteriostatic bags to try and decrease infections as my infections can always be tied to some sort of equipment issue. I don't want to just go back to regular bags... These are supposed to be an improvement.

And Yea, I don't know ANY insurance that covers 30 2000ml drainage bags a month!
    Board Member of Assistance Dog Advocacy Project working in Education. Feel free to ask me any service dog questions!

I am not paralyzed. I have a genetic connective tissue disorder with neuro complications and a movement disorder.

Quote Originally Posted by ~Lin View Post
    They've gone around in circles with me, never giving direct answers.

I've gone to bacteriostatic bags to try and decrease infections as my infections can always be tied to some sort of equipment issue. I don't want to just go back to regular bags... These are supposed to be an improvement.

And Yea, I don't know ANY insurance that covers 30 2000ml drainage bags a month!
    I really don't know why you have latched onto the notion that all or your "infections can always be tied to some sort of equipment issue." Has a physician given this as an opinion?

At this point in time, it doesn't seem as though the bacteriostatic drainage bags are working for you and Bard has given you and me the same circuitous answers about how to clean these bags...you don't. It may be time for you to move on and try to find other drainage bags that you can clean with bleach or alcohol that many of us use, especially after you find yourself clear of the current urinary tract infection you are experiencing.

The usual procedure when you think you have a urinary tract infection is to get a urinalysis (UA) and a culture and sensitivity (C&S) Have the infection treated for 12 to 14 days with the most effective antibiotic, then a couple of days after you finish the course of antibiotics, get another UA and C&S to make sure the infection is gone.

Sorry that the bacteriostatic drainage bags haven't worked as you would have hoped, but I think it is time to move on and find a system/bags that you know you can clean without worrying about what cleaning may be doing to a non cleanable bacteriostatic drainage bag.

There's no reason to change bags, if my cleaning was damaging the bacteriostatic coating the worst case is that it voids the bacteriostatic advantage and makes me right back at a regular bag again.

Yes, my urologist and I have discussed equipment failure being able to be linked to all of my utis. Sometimes it's issues where the bag comes disconnected at night and I have to reconnect it. When this happens I use alcohol, but who knows what bugs may have gotten into my bag or my end prior to reconnecting. I use a feeding tube button in my suprapubic stoma and change out the extension once a week along with a new night drainage bag. Some of the different types of extensions I've had difficulty staying connected to my bags. Sometimes I have to use pieces in between which are called Lopez valves.

My urologist gave me gentamicin bladder irrigation since I have 100% accuracy in determining if I have a uti or not. I was using hydrocleanse to prevent, test for uti, and clear up uti when caught early enough. Initially the gentamicin was for when the hydrocleanse isn't enough, and also during cath changes so I could discontinue the 3 days of oral cipro. I have severe dehydration problems secondary to GI issues and rely on IV fluids daily. Dehydration causes uti symptoms for me, that's where hydrocleanse comes in as a test. If I instill it into my bladder and it soothes the symptoms it's dehydration, if it makes them worse it's a uti and Id use it frequently until it stopped increasing symptoms (with pyridium and others to deal in the beginning) But I can't afford hydrocleanse anymore, so I'm trying to make my bottle last as long as possible for my uti test, and am using a lot more of the gentamicin than I wanted to.
    Board Member of Assistance Dog Advocacy Project working in Education. Feel free to ask me any service dog questions!

I am not paralyzed. I have a genetic connective tissue disorder with neuro complications and a movement disorder.

Quote Originally Posted by ~Lin View Post
    There's no reason to change bags, if my cleaning was damaging the bacteriostatic coating the worst case is that it voids the bacteriostatic advantage and makes me right back at a regular bag again.

Yes, my urologist and I have discussed equipment failure being able to be linked to all of my utis. Sometimes it's issues where the bag comes disconnected at night and I have to reconnect it. When this happens I use alcohol, but who knows what bugs may have gotten into my bag or my end prior to reconnecting. I use a feeding tube button in my suprapubic stoma and change out the extension once a week along with a new night drainage bag. Some of the different types of extensions I've had difficulty staying connected to my bags. Sometimes I have to use pieces in between which are called Lopez valves.

My urologist gave me gentamicin bladder irrigation since I have 100% accuracy in determining if I have a uti or not. I was using hydrocleanse to prevent, test for uti, and clear up uti when caught early enough. Initially the gentamicin was for when the hydrocleanse isn't enough, and also during cath changes so I could discontinue the 3 days of oral cipro. I have severe dehydration problems secondary to GI issues and rely on IV fluids daily. Dehydration causes uti symptoms for me, that's where hydrocleanse comes in as a test. If I instill it into my bladder and it soothes the symptoms it's dehydration, if it makes them worse it's a uti and Id use it frequently until it stopped increasing symptoms (with pyridium and others to deal in the beginning) But I can't afford hydrocleanse anymore, so I'm trying to make my bottle last as long as possible for my uti test, and am using a lot more of the gentamicin than I wanted to.
    If you are using bacteriostatic bags and they cost more than regular bags, and they can't be cleaned satisfactorily, you might as well buy a good quality regular bag that you rely on to be cleaned effectively.

Would a Universal Medical Tube Connector 5 in 1 be a better connecter for the various size tubes you have to use? These connectors are tapered.

I don't pay for the bags, so it's all the same cost for me. I don't know if they can't be cleaned satisfactory. My concern has been damaging the coating. As I said, worst case scenerio if I damage the coating then they're back to regular bags anyway.

The 5 in 1 connector wouldn't make a difference in the tubing that I use. It would just replace the Lopez valve that I use. But my company has Lopez valves and they're covered by my insurance, and they do not carry 5 in 1 adapters.

The bottom is the tube I use. Next up are the variety of extension ends I have. (I'm phasing out my supply of the clear silicone. I receive both of the others still because I'm hoarding these since feeding tube items are slowly being changed over to what's called enfit connections, the purpose being to prevent accidental misconnection but the result is no longer being compatible with anything non enteral such as urinary. I don't know what I'll do when the process is complete and my supply is gone) Then how the extension attaches to the button, and the piece with orange is the Lopez valve. The Lopez valve is required for the purple Y and silicone Y to connect to a urinary drainage bag, the bag end fits into the orange silicone piece. They made a change to the clear silicone Y where it used to work directly with urinary bags, but now they slide out. That caused infections from disconnecting repeatedly at night. The middle purple bolus end works directly with the bag at night, but requires an additional piece such as the top photo to keep sterile during the day. The 5 in one connector will replace the Lopez valve by fitting directly into the purple or silicone Y, and requires the end piece of the bag tubing to be cut and then fits into the tubing.