Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cleaning bacteriostatic bags?

Cleaning bacteriostatic bags?

How should I clean bacteriostatic coated bags? I know the standard ways to clean urinary bags, but I don't know if those ways damage the bacteriostatic coating in the tubing and bag. The tubing on mine is slightly frosted in appearance when new, as opposed to clear like regular bags. I've noticed it gets more and more opaque through the week after each cleaning. I don't want to be damaging the coating!
    Board Member of Assistance Dog Advocacy Project working in Education. Feel free to ask me any service dog questions!

I am not paralyzed. I have a genetic connective tissue disorder with neuro complications and a movement disorder.

Which leg bags do you use?

Is the leg bag bacteriostatic coated? Is the tubing that connects the bag to the catheter bacteriostatic coated? Or, is the catheter bacteriostatic coated?

Sorry they're night drainage bags, I should have been more specific. They're Bard "Infection Control Urinary Drainage Bag". Both the tubing and the bag are bacteriostatic coated.
    Board Member of Assistance Dog Advocacy Project working in Education. Feel free to ask me any service dog questions!

I am not paralyzed. I have a genetic connective tissue disorder with neuro complications and a movement disorder.

These are pretty new, so I don't think anyone has yet done any research about the best cleaning methods. The manufacturer is going to tell you that you should maintain a closed system and not clean the bag at all; but instead replace it periodically. Of course they are going to also sell more bags that way.

In the past, several studies were done putting various disinfectant solutions inside bags in use; none that I am aware of actually showed any significant effect upon UTI rate vs. plain bags. Have you asked BARD for studies showing that these bags (which I would also guess are pretty expensive) really reduce UTI in chronic indwelling catheter users?

(KLD)
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

No, I haven't asked bard. I'm not sure the cost as they're covered by insurance. I switched to them because I was getting uti I could trace to equipment failure. I have suprapubic access and don't need a bag during the day, I drain my bladder as needed. I only use the bag at night due to nocturia. I produce more urine when laying down vs sitting up. And now I also rub my IV fluids and things overnight as well which works nicely with the bags.

I've asked bard repeatedly and haven't gotten ANY reply, not even telling me to maintain a closed system. They've been quite horrible, before I switched I was also getting a lot of bags that leaked. And even after the switch I've had a couple of this different bag that leak.i ran in circles trying to get them replaced, and the best I got was finally being told I'd be contacted about receiving samples... And then liberator medical who I guess owns bard now called me and said they don't give samples of bags, only catheters.

Does your insurance require that you use Bard leg or night drain bags? There are other manufacturers out there that may be more reliable. I have been using Urocare products for more years than I can count. Can only remember one time I had a leak issue with a leg bag. Urocare has vinyl and latex bags. The also have a night drain bottle that hold 2000cc of urine. The bottle is poly rigid plastic and connects to the catheter with tubing (supplied with the bottle). The bottle has a anti reflux flutter valve. I put my bottle in a plastic shoe box and sit it on the floor next to the bed. https://www.urocare.com/EN/HomeEN.php

https://www.urocare.com/EN/Products/4100EN.php
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by gjnl; 09-24-2017 at 02:18 PM.

My insurance dictates who I can purchase from and then specific items, but I'm not limited to bard. I buy from Edgepark and didn't see any other brands with bacteriostatic coatings when I looked, if you know of any leg me know. Bags work better for me than a bottle since I can hang them off my bed frame and have privacy covers I made that match my sheet sets.

I've got a uti right now, and I believe it's due to the bag cleaning issue... I'm so torn with what to use.

I am not sure what to tell you about cleaning them. If what you are doing is not working, I would recommend that you try simple soap and water or vinegar and water. No guarantees that this will work but it might be worth a try.
    ckf
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

I haven't tried soap and water yet. Vinegar changes the color of the tubing, so I was afraid it was damaging the bacteriostatic coating. The tubing comes just slightly off clear, and using vinegar by the end of the week the tubing is completely opaque.

Cost of supplies is also an issue, cleaning with alcohol gets up there. Vinegar goes on my food stamps so that's super simple.

I would ask the company if the color of the tubing is an indication of the coating. It probably is. If that is true, than vinegar may not be the answer. You may want to dilute it more and see if that helps.
    ckf