Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: C7 encountering some bullying in high end condo development

not helpful to you, but I appreciate you posting this. I am the same level injury and live in a very similar atmosphere. Because of a chosen few who consider my resistance to their attempts to invade my privacy as me being an asshole it has been trying at times. Luckily I'm not on the ground floor.

As others have said it is just human nature for AB's to fixate on us because we are visibly different. I find it interesting how different generations/age groups respond to a cripple's presence.

I value my independence more than anything and when someone threatens it no matter how good their intentions I try to explain to them that I wouldn't even get out of bed if I wanted everything accomplished for me.

I think I would just give in and move away, but it sounds like you are happy and well-situated in your current residence, except for a few bad apples. I feel sorry for those people that go out of their way to make your life miserable - ie. calling the cops.

Thanks for sharing!

Quote Originally Posted by tooley View Post
    not helpful to you, but I appreciate you posting this. I am the same level injury and live in a very similar atmosphere. Because of a chosen few who consider my resistance to their attempts to invade my privacy as me being an asshole it has been trying at times. Luckily I'm not on the ground floor.

As others have said it is just human nature for AB's to fixate on us because we are visibly different. I find it interesting how different generations/age groups respond to a cripple's presence.

I value my independence more than anything and when someone threatens it no matter how good their intentions I try to explain to them that I wouldn't even get out of bed if I wanted everything accomplished for me.

I think I would just give in and move away, but it sounds like you are happy and well-situated in your current residence, except for a few bad apples. I feel sorry for those people that go out of their way to make your life miserable - ie. calling the cops.

Thanks for sharing!
    Where I live is freaking awesome. I can push to everything (yes everything), take a regular bus, take a WC bus or drive. My work commute is less than 10 minutes and I live right on the edge of a park. It's also safe. It's taken almost 29 years to get here but I truly like 95% of it. Perhaps I just have to allocate more skin to the interactions with people, so I can let it roll off me. I probably need to allocate some bucks and drive a more acceptable vehicle (Volvo, Audi, Infiniti, ...) and hire a cleaning lady to look the part. Thats not going to happen though.

Quote Originally Posted by Patton57 View Post
    The old ladies in my development are always looking in the windows and talking about the state of my unit.
    Are they looking inside or just inspecting the condition of your windows? Regardless, what does this have to do with your disability?

I probably need to allocate some bucks and drive a more acceptable vehicle (Volvo, Audi, Infiniti, ...) and hire a cleaning lady to look the part.
    This definitely doesn't have anything to do with your disability.

Quote Originally Posted by August West View Post
    Are they looking inside or just inspecting the condition of your windows (AYS)? Regardless, what does this have to do with your disability?
    This definitely doesn't have anything to do with your disability.
    One lady followed me inside my condo after insisting all the way down the hallway that she wanted to see my place. At my door, I told her I really didn't want her coming in. She came in anyway. Her face sank when she saw my place. The next day there were maid for hire ads up on several of our community bulletin boards. Another one of my neighbors comes onto my patio several times a month. There's nothing on it. I guess they could be checking out the door and windows.

I'm a c7 and break my manual chair down on the drivers side of my car and truck several times a day. They take a beating. If I drove nicer vehicles they would take that beating. And it is a cumulative beating. My vehicles are 9 and 19 years old. If I wasn't disabled I would probably drive nicer cars.

Try having your door unlocked so your friend who's quad can visit (she can't manage the key) and having the residential arse open it while I'm in bed, swear at me, stare at me for a minute and then shut the door. That was two weeks ago. Not the first time this jerk has tried to intimidate me. Some just really hate people in wheelchairs ... this is one of those guys. His wife is so two faced that it isn't funny. On legal advice from a friend, I will no longer be speaking to either one of them ... I think that will shock the wife as I made her laugh all the time before.

Put up tint on your windows so you can look out, but they can't look in. If you ask the condo board, they're probably going to say no. If you have them up already, they might relent. OR put up a notice that you have video looking out the windows for security reasons. That oughta deter them!

I would directly confront one of the ladies that you don't like when people can see over you and into your condo and that others are not subjected to it .. or do like I used to do. Sit there with the key smiling until they leave after you said you need to get going.

Condo living was great for the first ten years, until this couple moved in and got themselves on the condo board - yes the arse is on the condo board!

If I could find someplace else to go, I would. I will always keep this place because I worked so hard for it - but would rent it out. Unfortunately not many in wheelchairs could afford the $1200 asking price for rent per month (and that's on the low side for a condo).
    Last edited by lynnifer; 09-24-2017 at 07:05 PM.
    Roses are red. Tacos are enjoyable. Don't blame immigrants, because you're unemployable.

T-11 Flaccid Paraplegic due to TM July 1985 @ age 12

I told her I really didn't want her coming in. She came in anyway.
    She would need some history to justify such aggressive action. Otherwise, if she is trying to gain access to only your indoors without some history to justify it, then you have a legitimate complaint.

One lady followed me inside my condo after insisting all the way down the hallway that she wanted to see my place. At my door, I told her I really didn't want her coming in. She came in anyway. Her face sank when she saw my place. The next day there were maid for hire ads up on several of our community bulletin boards. Another one of my neighbors comes onto my patio several times a month. There's nothing on it. I guess they could be checking out the door and windows.

I'm a c7 and break my manual chair down on the drivers side of my car and truck several times a day. They take a beating. If I drove nicer vehicles they would take that beating. And it is a cumulative beating. My vehicles are 9 and 19 years old. If I wasn't disabled I would probably drive nicer cars.
    no way in hell would that happen where u guys live shees

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by vjls View Post
    no way in hell would that happen where u guys live shees

Yeah. The law says we can shoot uninvited guests inside our homes around here. Not that I would. Maybe. But people know better.
    "I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it." - Edgar Allen Poe

"If you only know your side of an issue, you know nothing." -John Stuart Mill, On Liberty

"Even what those with the greatest reputation for knowing it all claim to understand and defend are but opinions..." -Heraclitus, Fragments

Can you get them to scrub your toilet? Maybe get a wet mop and stick it in their face after they cross your threshold. You can't legislate behavior as much as we try. Unless you move to a farm or house with a fenced yard I don't know how you can avoid some interaction with people. I did hang cheap mirror film in one of my early apt windows.
    "Never turn your back on fear. It should always be in front of you, like a thing that might have to be killed." - Hunter Thompson
    T5/6 complete

All are interesting suggestions. Thanks for the feedback!