Thread: customizing the back canes on a new chair (narrower than the rest of the chair?)

Vancouver WA USA - - Male T4 ASIA B incomplete

customizing the back canes on a new chair (narrower than the rest of the chair?)

Wondering if anyone has seen or done this.

Generally the back-canes are the same width as the seat pan, I've never seen any any different.
    I'm 18 inches wide because of my thighs but my back canes could easily be 16" or 17" wide.

My wheels are cambered at 4 degrees and the thing that limits how close I can bring my wheels into my chair are the back canes. I have them as close to the chair as I can get them, so if I turn a fast circle they'll rub the back canes.

If I could narrow the back canes I could bring my wheels in thereby making me narrower overall. Maximum I'm looking for is an inch on either side. It would seem quite trivial wondering if anyone has done it and if it's a custom option somewhere.

Thanks

I did the opposite thing. I have a 16 inch wide chair that was too narrow. It was not an issue to cut a 17 inch sheet of thin dense multi ply plywood for a new seat base, but the backrest needed to be wider. I had some donor backs. Hinging, as simple as it would seem was not so simple, but eventually it worked out fine. It's now a 17 inch chair. (edit I had to add 1/2 inch spacers to the axles also. And the brakes just reach, but I should get extension adapters for them.
    Yours will work out fine. The simple way is to find a narrow back to swap in.
    Last edited by nonoise; 09-23-2017 at 05:00 AM.
    I have had periodic paralysis all my life. I lost my ability to walk in 2011 beginning with a spinal block, which was used for a hip fracture caused by periodic paralysis.

http://permobilus.com/products/manua...irs-by-tilite/

Designs Unlimited:
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Chas
    TiLite TR3
    Dual-Axle TR3 with RioMobility DragonFly
    I am a person with mild/moderate hexaparesis (impaired movement in 4 limbs, head, & torso) caused by RRMS w/TM C7&T7 incomplete.

"I know you think you understand what you thought I said, but what I don't think you realize is that what you heard is not what I meant."
    <
    UNKNOWN AUTHOR>

cheers.. that's a pretty slick option.
    but I'm after the straight canes so I can fit and after market solid backrest..

just would like something from the factory with a new chair rather than fabricating myself...

Quote Originally Posted by chasmengr View Post

I had that done.

Quote Originally Posted by chasmengr View Post
    Poor design. I had that done on my previous TiLite ZRA. It was impossible to but a hard back back cushion on it due to the inward angle of the back tubing and hard back clamps. The back cushion will only sit on the frame in one position. You cannot move it up or down. I had to live with the standard backing.

It would be a better design to have a horizontal tubing welded at the open ends of the frame then weld the two canes X inches high inwards 1" vertically up. Then you would have better luck putting a hard back cushion on it since the cane are straight.

Ti
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    "We must overcome difficulties rather than being overcome by difficulties."

This was totally my thought when I saw this design.

Just looking for a spacer at the base.
    Maybe weld a section of tube to each side to push it in so the main back canes would be an inch recessed from each side. Two inches overall maybe to much for me..
    Being conservative only really looking for one inch overall just eliminate where my tires rub.

Quote Originally Posted by titanium4motion View Post
    Poor design. I had that done on my previous TiLite ZRA. It was impossible to but a hard back back cushion on it due to the inward angle of the back tubing and hard back clamps. The back cushion will only sit on the frame in one position. You cannot move it up or down. I had to live with the standard backing.

It would be a better design to have a horizontal tubing welded at the open ends of the frame then weld the two canes X inches high inwards 1" vertically up. Then you would have better luck putting a hard back cushion on it since the cane are straight.

Ti