Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Blood Clots in Bladder

Quote Originally Posted by Resistencia View Post
    I had a permanent catheter 13 years ago and I have had clots many times, the urologist explained to me that it was normal and that the ball of the catheter rubs the walls of the bladder and produces small lesions that bleed. According to him the important thing is that ultrasounds of kidneys and bladder go well.
    Do you still use a catheter?
    C3/C4. Complete

Quote Originally Posted by gjnl View Post

I'd second this recommendation. I had a lot of blood clots prior to switching to a Duette catheter, and none since.

The problem here is that none of us, including the SCI nurses, really know how much bleeding/blood in the urine that Sfedor408 is experiencing. Hard to quantify in these posts. What is a lot of blood to some of us, really may not be that much...how do any of us know from reading Sfedor408 posts.

Agree with KLD, Sfedor408 needs to get more information from the urologist about the various tests and scans he has done. Only the person (the urologist) looking through the scope and seeing the amount of blood in Sfedor408's urine is really capable of making an informed opinion about his situation.

I understand that we need to be vigilant about the possibility of bladder cancer if we have long term indwelling catheters, but I really hate to see anyone inordinately frightened by any of us speculating about the possibility of a cancer diagnosis in this case.
    Last edited by gjnl; 09-20-2017 at 11:21 PM.

Not every urinary problem is going to be resolved by using the catheter you recommend, nor use of irrigant solutions you recommend to everyone either.

Bleeding enough to pass clots is very concerning, and the cause needs to be determined. The OP has not had proper surveillance testing for urinary cancer. Not trying to scare him, but to educate him about what his physician should be investigating to rule-out cancer as a cause. Many of my clients (and friends) in the past had similar symptoms that were eventually diagnosed as cancer. Urinary cancer is especially important to be caught in the early stages.

(KLD)
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
    Not every urinary problem is going to be resolved by using the catheter you recommend, nor use of irrigant solutions you recommend to everyone either.

Bleeding enough to pass clots is very concerning, and the cause needs to be determined. The OP has not had proper surveillance testing for urinary cancer. Not trying to scare him, but to educate him about what his physician should be investigating to rule-out cancer as a cause. Many of my clients (and friends) in the past had similar symptoms that were eventually diagnosed as cancer. Urinary cancer is especially important to be caught in the early stages.

(KLD)
    Just for the record, I did not recommend or even mention Microcyn in this thread. And as for the catheter, I am not the only one who has had success with the Duette. Many of us would recommend the Duette because for minor bleeding and autonomia, it has been a great find. Hopefully, the Duette will prove that less irritation and inflammation to the bladder wall, may even decrease the risk of bladder cancer over time.

That said, I totally agree with you, that the original poster needs to get back to his doctor immediately and demand further investigation.

Quote Originally Posted by Sfedor408 View Post
    Sorry to hear about your situation. May I ask if everything has been rectified and what type of treatment you received? Do you still use a SP catheter, or did you need to make changes?
    I have used a 22fr 5cc all silicone SP for 27 years. Changed it every 2-3 weeks and still developed stage 2 adenocarcinoma. Stage 2 means it has invaded the bladder wall and only some of it could be surgically removed and biopsied. Unfortunately the tumor is blocking the flow from my left kidney into my bladder (my right kidney basically does not function). Between my Urologist and Oncologist the plan is to treat me with Immunotherapy which has only been approved for bladder cancer in April of 2017. Removing a cancerous tumor or my entire bladder is not an option at this point, chemotherapy doesn't work for this particular cancer and they don't want to radiate my entire pelvis area either. I have had several bladder scopes, surgical biopsy, Nuclear medicine bone scan, CT scan, PET scan, MRI, tons of blood-work, Xrays, Ultrasounds you name it.

My second treatment is today the 21st of September, it's an IV infusion over an hour.

April 17, FDA granted atezolizumab (Tecentriq?) an accelerated approval as a first-line treatment for patients with locally advanced or metastatic urothelial carcinoma who are not eligible to receive cisplatin-based chemotherapy. (Many patients with advanced forms of urothelial carcinoma are not candidates for cisplatin-based chemotherapy because they have health problems, including impaired kidney function, hearing loss, or heart failure.)

I have switched to the Duette SP catheters but it's perhaps too little too late.
    ^^(A)^^

Darty, just wondering why removal of your bladder is not an option? This is the most common procedure done for this type of bladder cancer. Your bladder removal could be combined with the creation of a urinary ostomy.

(KLD)
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
    Darty, just wondering why removal of your bladder is not an option? This is the most common procedure done for this type of bladder cancer. Your bladder removal could be combined with the creation of a urinary ostomy.

(KLD)
    I know about the bladder removal surgery and it was discussed. My Urologist said the success/survival rate in older quads is not good. My Oncologist doesn't want me to do it unless we can shrink the tumor first and make sure it didn't metastasize from somewhere else or to somewhere else in my body. I am getting my second treatment today and will get more answers from Oncology from my scan results but bladder removal/augmentation is not completely off the table yet.
    ^^(A)^^

Darty, I hope you can resolve your bladder woes ASAP. I always enjoy your comments and input.

Quote Originally Posted by smokey View Post
    Darty, I hope you can resolve your bladder woes ASAP. I always enjoy your comments and input.
    Thanks for your support I'm an old quad 37 years and dance to my own beat but this is serious and we are doing everything possible to move forward. I had my second Immunotherapy treatment yesterday and met with my Oncologist. He told me the plan for treatment is an infusion every 21 days for 6 to 8 treatments then a PET scan to see if it's working. Fingers crossed!

Thanks again
    ^^(A)^^