Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Working new job

My position is well not sure the name but receiveing basically I’m at a table with a covayer next to it and I grab somewhat small boxes open them and scan the items then put on a cart and fill it up . I can’t move the cart when filled but they have people do it for me so that’s it basically it’s really easy and they also have been training me in other departments so that you know how things work and can move up. But thanks everyone for all your help and reassurance

Excellent! Enjoy working!
    Roses are red. Tacos are enjoyable. Don't blame immigrants, because you're unemployable.

T-11 Flaccid Paraplegic due to TM July 1985 @ age 12

Wow, this is great to hear of a manager in a large corp like Amazon willing to make allowances for a persons limitations. I doubt I have to tell you this, but if someone is enlisted to help you in your duties definitely pay it back. If you can do something for them, do it. Even a cup of coffee or the offer to buy them lunch here and there. I have a lackey who shovels the snow out of my parking space before I get there and I always make sure to bring him a coffee or fast-food breakfast on those snow days.

Having been working full-time myself the last 30 months after 5 years post-injury my best advice is to take care of yourself first. Sitting all day, in a busy environment, can be a recipe for disaster in regards to pressure management. If you are constantly reaching, leaning, shifting your weight that will certainly help. But don't disregard doing real pressure reliefs. If I've learnt anything from this forum, it's don't become your own worst enemy by neglecting yourself.

The best part of getting back into a schedule, having to be somewhere everyday, is that all the little personal things seem to get a lot smaller. I was very introverted before I started working but have found being around "normal" working-class people to been great for me. Finding the common-denominators again, sports, news, politics, same water-cooler facebook stuff people will always talk about. Sure makes all the fretting about wheelchairs and catheters seem really irrelevant.

Your posts remind me of the excitement I felt when I got my job. I took it serious but was lucky to be acquainted with many of my co-workers from 20 years ago and they didn't see a disabled guy, they saw me as who I am. I am still having fun with it even though it does seem like a bit of a grind some days, commuting or if I've not slept well. Same as anyone.

I use various computer-aided-design software and am constantly learning so it does not get old, and luckily stay very busy so the weeks fly by. That's my other piece of advice to anyone who works for a living - always evolve and display a willingness to achieve more.

Other than that definitely try to have some fun with it! Work doesn't have to feel like work with the right people around.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeramie630 View Post
    My position is well not sure the name but receiveing basically I’m at a table with a covayer next to it and I grab somewhat small boxes open them and scan the items then put on a cart and fill it up . I can’t move the cart when filled but they have people do it for me so that’s it basically it’s really easy and they also have been training me in other departments so that you know how things work and can move up. But thanks everyone for all your help and reassurance
    Thanks for the info and sharing your situation. Heard that Amazon is apparently considering distribution centers near some major cities, so it's nice to know how they have treated you. I'm a retiree but it gives me lots of hope for the younger generation of capable job-seekers who happen to be paralyzed.

Quote Originally Posted by tooley View Post
    Wow, this is great to hear of a manager in a large corp like Amazon willing to make allowances for a persons limitations. I doubt I have to tell you this, but if someone is enlisted to help you in your duties definitely pay it back. If you can do something for them, do it. Even a cup of coffee or the offer to buy them lunch here and there. I have a lackey who shovels the snow out of my parking space before I get there and I always make sure to bring him a coffee or fast-food breakfast on those snow days.

Having been working full-time myself the last 30 months after 5 years post-injury my best advice is to take care of yourself first. Sitting all day, in a busy environment, can be a recipe for disaster in regards to pressure management. If you are constantly reaching, leaning, shifting your weight that will certainly help. But don't disregard doing real pressure reliefs. If I've learnt anything from this forum, it's don't become your own worst enemy by neglecting yourself.

The best part of getting back into a schedule, having to be somewhere everyday, is that all the little personal things seem to get a lot smaller. I was very introverted before I started working but have found being around "normal" working-class people to been great for me. Finding the common-denominators again, sports, news, politics, same water-cooler facebook stuff people will always talk about. Sure makes all the fretting about wheelchairs and catheters seem really irrelevant.

Your posts remind me of the excitement I felt when I got my job. I took it serious but was lucky to be acquainted with many of my co-workers from 20 years ago and they didn't see a disabled guy, they saw me as who I am. I am still having fun with it even though it does seem like a bit of a grind some days, commuting or if I've not slept well. Same as anyone.

I use various computer-aided-design software and am constantly learning so it does not get old, and luckily stay very busy so the weeks fly by. That's my other piece of advice to anyone who works for a living - always evolve and display a willingness to achieve more.

Other than that definitely try to have some fun with it! Work doesn't have to feel like work with the right people around.
    If you are constantly reaching, leaning, shifting your weight that will certainly help. But don't disregard doing real pressure reliefs. If I've learnt anything from this forum, it's don't become your own worst enemy by neglecting yourself. I know many of SCI people who wreak there lives by working and not taking care of themselves. My SCI doctor did not want me to work unless I really had to. Working takes a lot out of you. I an a flaccid T12 L1 injury and my SCI doc. said I would not last long sitting 10 or 14 hours a day. I asked why and he said we have just seen to much damage from people with a SCI to work unless you really have to. He said if you had spasms your butt maybe could take it but being flaccid he said my butt would not take it very long. Sad cause I really liked to work. Took his advice and about wore out at 42 years of SCI. But very good luck and with your higher injury you may be 1 of the lucky ones that don't have problems. Just take care of yourself with all your sitting and reaching for things as they do catch up with you.
    Art

Thanks for all the input everyone! But yes that’s the one thing I am worried about is sitting for so long even though I’m reaching and moving I still do pressure breaks but I still get scared cus doses are the devil that make you litterlybeant to end your life. I have also been worried about my current cushion I have a ride design witch is great and takes presser of my tail none witch I had previous problems with but I think it might be to hard still compared to my roho. Do you guys that work and sit for long period have any recommendations I want to avoid any possibility of pressure soar. Should I go back to a roho or is there a better option I find that the typical roho seems great pressure wise but not that comfortable like my ride one. Maybe I’ll mske another post about this. This really really scares me especially since with the work I do is very phisical I’m really soar after witch I exspect since I’m using muscles I haven’t in a long time but I always end up relating that to maybe something is wrong and I’m developing a pressure soar and that’s the last thing I want. So any info would be nice . If people are wondering same I think I’ll stsrt a new post tommorow about seating

Also for you that do work any tips to staying healthy not just avoiding soars but other things that you may have never thought about till you started working I just want any advice I can get to avoid any negative things. I really do appreciate how kind you all are and all your advice so far you guys are great thanks for sharing everything it’s helping me and I’m sure others are reading and learning also so thanks

I know I should start a new post but will try this first... so does anyone know how I notify social security that I?m working or whatever I?m sure I should of told them already but wanted to make sure I was goin to be working for a nice amount of time. Thanks I don?t want to get in trouble or end up owing them a lot so the sooner I can do this the better

Have you established a MySocialSecurity account at the Social Security website? This is assuming you are currently on SSDI. If you are on SSI, then you cannot do that on-line, but the information can be conveyed via phone.

(KLD)
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeramie630 View Post
    Also for you that do work any tips to staying healthy not just avoiding soars but other things that you may have never thought about till you started working I just want any advice I can get to avoid any negative things. I really do appreciate how kind you all are and all your advice so far you guys are great thanks for sharing everything it’s helping me and I’m sure others are reading and learning also so thanks
    Time management is your best friend. Put your time in but make time for you. I wish I had done that.
    Roses are red. Tacos are enjoyable. Don't blame immigrants, because you're unemployable.

T-11 Flaccid Paraplegic due to TM July 1985 @ age 12