Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Working new job

Working new job

Hi everyone .. so I just got a job at amazon and I start in a couple days my question is has anyone applied and got a job in a position that they reallly aren't able to do everything required? Like forklift operation,and other equipment like that. If so do they try to find a potion suitable for you. I told them I'm disabled so I'm pretty sure they know I'm just worried they will let me go or somthing . Sorry I'm just looking for some hope that they will work with me and figure out a position for me and wantcsome of your feedback thanks

Did you tell them what activities and job functions that your disability would prevent you from doing in the job interview?? Just saying "I'm disabled" is not much information. Were you asked about any physical limitations related to the essential job duties when interviewed? If so, did you also request "reasonable accommodations"?

(KLD)
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
    Did you tell them what activities and job functions that your disability would prevent you from doing in the job interview?? Just saying "I'm disabled" is not much information. Were you asked about any physical limitations related to the essential job duties when interviewed? If so, did you also request "reasonable accommodations"?

(KLD)
    Yes! and will add that the person interviewing you should be well aware of issues in hiring a person with a disability. If you have time you can prepare by Googling Americans with Disability Act (ADA) as it relates to reasonable accommodations you may need. If you are already definitely "hired" they would be making a major legal mistake if they then turn you down due to disability. From your post it sounds like you are hired but no specific position?
    At interview it's good to make clear what you can do and cannot do. Keep it simple. This will help them as they are not allowed to ask you what your disability is. You don't need to state your "diagnosis", just functional limitations, like running a fork lift, etc. Include clearly what you can do.

Hope you let us know how you do.

To operate a forklift you have to have certification that you've passed the required training.

Well with amazon they didn’t have an actual I tervie they send emails and I listed I was disabled in wheelchair but they don’t offer you to speak with anyone so there was no way I could explain further. They did hire me knowin this so I’m just kinda worried they will not have anything for me when I go my first day or something. I’m very mobile and can do almost anything so besides walking and stuff idk ... and I am certified to operate forklift and other stuff from before my injury and I own one that I still operate also they certify you for anything they have there. But again I can’t use most of them even with controls or mods I’m guessing. It was just hard trying to be honest with everything when they do everything through email only and they are emails you can’t respond to.

Oh sorry yes I am hired and they do have a specific position for me. So idk I’m just really scared about how my first day will go tommorow. I’m hoping they find something for me I really need a job and this is kinda perfect as I’m sure they have lots of things I can do especially since it’s a new location with them hiring all new people for every position

Sounds like they have a position for you, I wouldn't worry, relax!

Update !!! So went for my first day and like I thought couldn’t do a lot of stuff but amazon was great and got me a position that I can do and the stuff I need help with or modified to make my life easier they are bending backwards to do . To anyone looking for a job check out amazon they are hiring nation wide and look to hire disabled or literally anyone and they treat you like a regular person so far it’s great! Oh and benefits are amazing

Congratulations! Would you mind explaining what the position is? Might help others determine if they wish to apply for a job with Amazon.
    Glad to hear it's working out and that your employer is helpful.

Congrats, I figured you'd be fine, they're not going to hire you and not have those details already worked out. Enjoy!