Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: letter of medical necessity.

letter of medical necessity.

This may not be the right forum but here goes. I remember some time ago one of the nurses (KLD, I think) wrote or gave a site which gave great examples to include in writing letters of medical necessity for cushions and W/C. My doc will sign anything for me to get what I need. Unfortunately a copy of such letter is on my old unusable computer. I need a new cushion and this info would greatly facilitate getting there. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Lynne View Post
    This may not be the right forum but here goes. I remember some time ago one of the nurses (KLD, I think) wrote or gave a site which gave great examples to include in writing letters of medical necessity for cushions and W/C. My doc will sign anything for me to get what I need. Unfortunately a copy of such letter is on my old unusable computer. I need a new cushion and this info would greatly facilitate getting there. Thanks!

Have you talked to your DME the ATP that would write the order should work with your doctor to fit it to your needs...

DME = Durable Medical Equipment Supplier
    ATP = Assistive Technology Professional
    Last edited by gjnl; 09-19-2017 at 12:43 PM.

Thanks gjnl and RollPositive. Not the example I was thinking of, but big helps. I was pressure mapped at Shepherd 8yrs ago and haven't been in touch since. Was thinking I could just write the letter, have my doc sign it and have a DME order it. Don't know if I can contact Shepherd for those old records, have them rewrite stuff and go that way. Don't want to go through the whole eval again. I'm not near any of these places. Just need a new Varilite Medalian!

Thanks gjnl and RollPositive. Not the example I was thinking of, but big helps. I was pressure mapped at Shepherd 8yrs ago and haven't been in touch since. Was thinking I could just write the letter, have my doc sign it and have a DME order it. Don't know if I can contact Shepherd for those old records, have them rewrite stuff and go that way. Don't want to go through the whole eval again. I'm not near any of these places. Just need a new Varilite Medalian!
    Depending on your insurance requirements, you may not have a choice about having to get a seating evaluation by a physical or occupational therapist. Check with your carrier.

this is what I always do. never had any ins co, in 25 yrs need an eval by a pt. ive had a dme tell me that before, I corrected them and my lmn signed by my dr. always is sufficient.
    Bike-on.com rep
    John@bike-on.com
    c4/5 inc funtioning c6. 28 yrs post.
    sponsored handcycle racer

I think you going at it backward...go to the DME and order the cushion they will work with your insurance, Medicare etc on what is needed. It should be just a simple rx from the doctor.

I am with NuMotion and one rx is good for a year of repairs. They just modify it as needed.

Seats generally wear out with on 3 years so replacement is standard.

Hope that helps...

So I am also with NuMotion and they have told me that it is against their policy to get letters and RXes from doctors etc - that it is the patient's responsibility to determine what documentation is necessary, obtain it and provide it to Medicare. YMMV.

Been out of town. Thanks all for your help! I think perhaps I was making it too complicated. Can I go to any medical supply place? The DME I got the chair from (through Shepherd) is gone and I was told I should use NuMotion. They're not too far away but some time ago I tried to get some info from them about something else; they seemed very nice but then never called back. Can ANYbody that sells/rents durable medical equipment order a special cushion and work with medicare/tricare? Thanks!