Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Jury Duty

Washington DC area--------------------T3 complete

Jury Duty

Just got a summons to serve - How have you all handled this? Says I can get exempt with a letter from my doctor. Did you serve or get and exemption? I don't drive and would have to depend on someone else taking me - Would have to be there by 7am - not sure I've been up and ready to tackle the day that early since my SCI.

I got a permanent exemption letter from my doctor for jury duty.
    Rock bottom is relative to how high you bounce when you hit.
    --General George Patton

Complex problems need to be solved collectively.
    ––Paul Nussbaum
    usc87.blogspot.com

I've gotten several summons to serve on juries, but have always gotten an exemption. In my jurisdiction, the clerk of courts sends a form that I fill out with a written explanation of the reason I need to be excused. I send that form to my doctor, he signs it and sends it back to me, and I in turn, send it back to the clerks office. I always keep a copy for my records. And send my doctor a self addressed, stamped envelope to return the form to me. In my area, I can't get a permanent exemption, I have to fill out the form each time I get a summons.

Customize to suit your situation.

General Excuse from Jury Service

Mr._________________________is a (fill in level of injury and number of years post injury) His injury is permanent and requires some attendant care during the day. (If you rely on hired attendant care that has a set daily schedule, mention that the caregiver hours cannot be easily changed) He must take medications at prescribed times and re-position in his wheelchair seat several times each hour. (if you have to intermittent cath every 4 hours that may not coincide with regularly scheduled breaks, mention that too). He does not drive a vehicle, and would have to rely on others for transportation to the court. It is medically advisable that this patient refrain from this type of service.

Been through this several times, I just tell them that it's a hardship for me to make it there early in the AM, and mention that I can do afternoons. That usually works, never needed, or asked, for a Dr. note.

If it didn't come registered mail, you never got it

My mother got a permanent exemption, as did my father for being her primary caregiver. How this is handled varies by state and county.

(KLD)
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

I was called a few times and I really wanted to serve but the judge would not let me because am SCI and in a wheelchair and no place for me among the others he said.
    Art

Quote Originally Posted by Art454 View Post
    I was called a few times and I really wanted to serve but the judge would not let me because am SCI and in a wheelchair and no place for me among the others he said.
    Wow! What a loser you are, then. I love shit like that; it makes my ego grow even bigger than it already is. (that's sarcasm, in case it's not clear.)
    Rollin' since '89. Complete C8

Actually, excluding you because you are disabled or a wheelchair user is illegal. Courts are under a lot of pressure (and rightly so) to make courtrooms fully accessible...including the bench (for wheelchair using judges), jury box, and jury room. It is both a right and obligation as a citizen to serve on a jury. While a hardship deferment may be appropriate for some due to their disability, those who can and want to serve should not be excluded.

(KLD)
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Washington DC area--------------------T3 complete
    Thanks for all the replies - I sent a request to my doctor for a letter of exemption. Hope she responds in a timely manner as I am supposed to reply within 10 days.

Andy - I gave that a thought - do you think they would buy it?