Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Motion Composites - MotionComposites.com anyone have one of there chairs rate them

Quote Originally Posted by Curt Leatherbee View Post
    I see no reason not to get the folding version called the Veloce like I have. My chair rolls just good as a rigid chair and is like 99 percent as solid.
    1. You can't use a rigid back.
    2. It will vibrate more.
    3. It will split when you jump curbs.
    4. You can't get it into a car by yourself in short time and effort and without tearing up your car.

This limits the user to an upholstery back, going slow, never jumping a curb, and either driving a van or having the ability to load it into the trunk of a vehicle.

The inherent problem with carbon fiber is that it fractures much more easily than aluminum or titanium. If you can accept that, then you still have the problem of chipped paint. I prefer titanium. It is much stronger and doesn't require paint. It will always be strong and look good.

After some research, I am ready to order a Motion Composites Apex. If anyone has some updated thoughts on this chair, components, cautions and such, I would be most appreciative.

Quote Originally Posted by Oddity View Post
    I agree, folders have come a long way. I'd use one if I needed one, but since I have yet to encounter a scenario where a folder would have helped me, I'd rather a rigid frame. The simplest solution is my preferred solution, all else being equal.
    I'd like a folder for travel. I was traveling all over the state of Queretaro last week in "normal" cars where my rigid frame chair is a pain in the butt. Seriously considering the Veloce.

Re: carbon fiber - uber stiff and strong but horribly vulnerable to impact damage...
    T3 complete since Sept 2015.

I have 6 mos. experience with an Apex. It has its quirks, I don’t have time right now for lengthy email but first and foremost is the MC concept of High Modulus Carbon meaning there is a give before it stiffens. It really comes in to play in rougher terrain or sidewalk seams as the casters and front frame will flex fore and aft about 1/4 to 3/8s inch. I’ve had the caster arms slip before the upper screw uses a “security” head but you can buy the bit easily. This same elasticity when going over an uneven surface say cross wise on a door threshold you can feel it twist under the footplate and seat slightly.
    It is light and balanced nicely for lifting into the car.
    Note the frame warranty is void if you jump curbs. Ask any other questions.

Quote Originally Posted by Stsmark View Post
    I have 6 mos. experience with an Apex. It has its quirks, I don’t have time right now for lengthy email but first and foremost is the MC concept of High Modulus Carbon meaning there is a give before it stiffens. It really comes in to play in rougher terrain or sidewalk seams as the casters and front frame will flex fore and aft about 1/4 to 3/8s inch. I’ve had the caster arms slip before the upper screw uses a “security” head but you can buy the bit easily. This same elasticity when going over an uneven surface say cross wise on a door threshold you can feel it twist under the footplate and seat slightly.
    It is light and balanced nicely for lifting into the car.
    Note the frame warranty is void if you jump curbs. Ask any other questions.
    Really appreciate your thoughts. I suspect that there are trade offs with just about anything. Am I correct in inferring that you do not see any “deal breakers” with the chair so far? I use my chair mostly for moving from place to place and then I generally transfer to some other surface, and I will be using it in and out of my car for driving.

Blog Entries
    Warranty doesn't cover dropping down off curbs? Or wheelie hopping up them? That's a deal breaker, if that's a chair breaker. If it can't do at least what every other chair can do, hard to call it a step forward.
    "I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it." - Edgar Allen Poe

"If you only know your side of an issue, you know nothing." -John Stuart Mill, On Liberty

"Even what those with the greatest reputation for knowing it all claim to understand and defend are but opinions..." -Heraclitus, Fragments

Man you got that right!
    Warranty doesn't cover dropping down off curbs? Or wheelie hopping up them? That's a deal breaker, if that's a chair breaker. If it can't do at least what every other chair can do, hard to call it a step forward.

Apex Warranty and Curbs

A point well taken. I was rereading the warranty and did not see anything referencing curbs, but there was language citing ?misuse and abuse? as voiding the warranty.......that language could mean almost anything one wanted it to.

I will I?ll get more clarification.

Thank you.

Blog Entries
    Yeah it sounded a bit unreasonable. Thanks for clarifying.

Quote Originally Posted by jgtrev View Post
    A point well taken. I was rereading the warranty and did not see anything referencing curbs, but there was language citing ?misuse and abuse? as voiding the warranty.......that language could mean almost anything one wanted it to.

I will I?ll get more clarification.

Thank you.
    "I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it." - Edgar Allen Poe

"If you only know your side of an issue, you know nothing." -John Stuart Mill, On Liberty

"Even what those with the greatest reputation for knowing it all claim to understand and defend are but opinions..." -Heraclitus, Fragments