Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Motion Composites - MotionComposites.com anyone have one of there chairs rate them

Vancouver WA USA - - Male T4 ASIA B incomplete

Motion Composites - MotionComposites.com anyone have one of there chairs rate them

https://www.motioncomposites.com/

My PT is talking about their chairs! Will hopefully have some samples to look at.... of course not in my size!

Whats the word on the street with this company, how do they rate against colors, quickie, and Tilite ?

How would the apex chair stand up against a Tilite TR ?

I'm a little heavy so really like the box frame for minimizing the frame flex, and to be honest pretty skeptical of carbon fibre chairs.
    The apex design doesn't look anything revolutionary.
    How do their components hold up over time?
    How much customization do they do, comparable to tilite.

Anyone out there love them? hate them ?

The Tilite Tr is a rigid box frame. The one pictured looks more like a ZRA. For myself, I don't like the front caster assembly. It looks like they would have a tendency to move out of alignment with a good whack. The front caster houswing looks weak imo.

I'm not a fan of the larger tubing, open frame design due to too much flex and tougher to grip during transfers. I like a box frame like my Tr3 for it being rigid and using smaller diameter tubing making it easier to grip for transfers..

Cheers for the response.
    Yes, they don't seem to do a carbon fibre box frame
    I'm sure they'll try to tell me that the carbon fibre makes the box frame superfluous, but not convinced.

Wondering how well their components will hold up over time.

I too like the smaller diameter tubing of the TR, talking of taking a good whack I've managed to bend the caster bolt in my current TR and had to send it back to be replaced, also managed to snapped the aluminum axle tube of my TR, now has a homemade steel tube ! debating whether to fit the replacement aluminum tube (insurance covered it, but wouldn't upgrade or give and option to upgrade to the titanium tube!)

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Madsen View Post
    The Tilite Tr is a rigid box frame. The one pictured looks more like a ZRA. For myself, I don't like the front caster assembly. It looks like they would have a tendency to move out of alignment with a good whack. The front caster houswing looks weak imo.

I'm not a fan of the larger tubing, open frame design due to too much flex and tougher to grip during transfers. I like a box frame like my Tr3 for it being rigid and using smaller diameter tubing making it easier to grip for transfers..

For myself, I don't like the front caster assembly. It looks like they would have a tendency to move out of alignment with a good whack. The front caster houswing looks weak imo.
    The front caster assembly looks similar to the Icon. From my son's Icon experience, they have never moved out of alignment, but if a good whack did put them out of alignment, then they are easy to re-adjust back into position. Compare that to a fully welded assembly, which will never go back to its original position once bent.

I do agree that the housing (or more specifically the bolt beneath the caster arm) looks weaker than it should.

As for how the Apex components hold up over time, I'd assume that nobody knows yet, as it's a pretty new product, isn't it?
    Gordon, father of son who became t6 paraplegic at the age of 4 in 2007 as a result of surgery to remove a spinal tumour.

It was more a general question about Motion Composites , how do their wheelchairs hold up generally.
    [QUOTE=Gordy1;1840204

As for how the Apex components hold up over time, I'd assume that nobody knows yet, as it's a pretty new product, isn't it?[/QUOTE]

Changing out the front axle is really easy. The main thing to do after loosening up the hex nut is to heat the axle so the Stay tight stuff softens up and you can unscrew it. If you don't heat it up, it'll wreck the threads. Takes about 5 minutes to change out. I use a Titanium camber bar rather than the aluminum. Seems to hold up better.

I'm hesitant having a carbon fibre frame; especially an open frame. It's fairly new Gordy but made by the same group who originally made the Icon. I'm at the stage where weight isn't the main factor when considering which chair to buy. As much as I dislike Tilte because of the customer service; their Tr is a good chair.

It's fairly new Gordy but made by the same group who originally made the Icon
    That's confused me! I thought the original Icon makers were still the current Icon owners?
    Gordon, father of son who became t6 paraplegic at the age of 4 in 2007 as a result of surgery to remove a spinal tumour.

As much as I dislike Tilte because of the customer service; their Tr is a good chair.
    Atleast I'm not the only one that feels this way. After dealing with tilites customer service 3 times I was ready to go with another company but really like the Tr
    c6 inc since 2-19-11
    ex pro-am motocross racer
    tilite aero z s2

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Gordy1 View Post
    That's confused me! I thought the original Icon makers were still the current Icon owners?
    I think that was a reference to the engineering and manufacturing company that actually built the Icon, not the owners of the company. Although, they did sell a significant portion of the company off a few years ago, IIRC.
    A Buddhist monk walked up to the guy working behind a hot dog cart and said, "Make me one with everything."

"Even what those with the greatest reputation for knowing it all claim to understand and defend are but opinions..." -Heraclitus

I have a Veloce Motion composites carbon fiber folding chair and it's great. Very rigid and lightweight, no issues with the chair. Wrote a review of it on this forum a while back but nobody seemed much interested.
    "Life is about how you
    respond to not only the
    challenges you're dealt but
    the challenges you seek...If
    you have no goals, no
    mountains to climb, your
    soul dies".~Liz Fordred