Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: HDMI sound is gone

HDMI sound is gone

I have a media pc hooked up to my TV for watching movies. It was working fine about a week ago and then over night sound went out. I removed and updated audio and video drivers with no avail but noticed a driver that wasn't working properly and until I can plug speakers into the regular audio output I won't know for sure if its hardware or software.

Any chance anyone can look at the screen shot and tell if I'm gonna need to buy a new sound card?
    Attached Images Attached Images  

It doesn't look like you have a sound card. Do you know if you have an actual sound card, or is it the integrated audio with your motherboard? Are you getting the driver from your motherboard site? And have you restarted your computer?
    Forgive me if they're stupid questions.

I would try uninstalling your drivers and then restart your computer. Don't reinstall anything, just let it look on its own.
    Rollin' since '89. Complete C8

If the above doesn't work, try a different HDMI cable. I had a similar problem and it turned out to be a bad cable.

I have integrated video and sound. For some reason, the sound just went out... oddly just after the recent monthly Windows update. Coincidence?
    I have tried using the drivers that Windows chose and also the ones from my mobo website (Gigabyte). I still get the error code on the HD Audio device (shown above).

Before I noticed the error code, I reinstalled Windows 10, twice and even tried Windows 7, before finally going back to 10.

This PC works pretty good to be almost 8 years old, so I guess buying an inexpensive sound card wouldn't be a bad investment... I just wanted to troubleshoot it first to keep from wasting unnecessary money.

Since my audio comes from my integrated HDMI, does it matter what sort of card I get?
    Will a 2 channel card give me the same quality as a 5.1 channel?
    Would there be a difference between the pci and the pci express cards?
    Any recommendations for a sound card under $30?

Have you tried the trouble shoot and repair trick?

Yeah, tried that several times. I wiped, formatted and installed Windows 7 & 10 a couple times each and still no luck. I've tried about 4-5 different drivers too.

How about a different audio source? Maybe a headset into an audio jack? It kinda sounds hardware related.

There is no sound coming from any audio out... I just tested with a set of battery powered speakers.
    I'm gonna order an inexpensive card from Amazon and hope that solves my problem.

Yea, maybe the sound card will do the trick. Good luck. Let us know how it goes.