Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Problems with Catheter Insertion

Your urologist should have also done a prostate exam (through your rectum) to determine if your prostate is indeed enlarged. A Coude tipped catheter may then be considered if it is found to be enlarged. You can also try the use of a PVC, silicone, or hydrophilic catheter. Latex catheters are no recommended for long term use as you can eventually develop a latex allergy with prolonged exposure to mucous membranes (like your urethra).

(KLD)
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

My doctor does the prostate exam every year and says it is fine. I guess I have always use the latex catheter because I have lots of them. Don't have insurance to pay for other types of catheters.

You are not on Medicare, Mike??

(KLD)
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Certain medication, especially something containing pseudoephedrine (like Sudafed) can cause your bladder sphincter to constrict and make it more difficult to insert your catheter.
    Last edited by TheVillageIdiot; 02-16-2018 at 08:03 AM.
    T4 complete since 30 April 2012

Not on Medicare yet. SSDI was approved January 2018. Need to wait 30 months before I am on Medicare.

Another day where I could not insert the catheter. I have issues with insertion in the first 2 to 3 inches of the catheter. Not near the prostate at that point. Frustrating!!

mike, call an online uro supplier and tell them your situation, they will send you samples of good caths. hell if you need i always have a stockpile for the zombie apocalypse. i can send you a few boxes of hollister vapro hydrophilic caths. pm me if you need some.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike_Stan View Post
    Another day where I could not insert the catheter. I have issues with insertion in the first 2 to 3 inches of the catheter. Not near the prostate at that point. Frustrating!!
    Bike-on.com rep
    John@bike-on.com
    c4/5 inc funtioning c6. 28 yrs post.
    sponsored handcycle racer

Not a big problem. I used the red rubber catheters for a few years. Then they wouldn't pass. I guess it was due a combination of spasms and scar tissue. I went to the 14 Fr intermittent catheter. It would usually pass but I could feel resistance. Sometimes it would not pass. Sounds silly but pulling the penis helped. But even better is hydrophilic catheters. I like the Coloplast for several reasons. It passes with the least resistance of all that I have tried. There is no water packet that you have to burst open. The packaging is most compact. The boxes are about half size of others making it easier to store, carry, and dispose of the waste. A neat trick to disposing them is to put them back into the sleeve, fold the sleeve into thirds, and hold in place using the sticky white circle on the sleeve. Otherwise, they are too long to fit into a small trash can.

Quote Originally Posted by August West View Post
    A neat trick to disposing them is to put them back into the sleeve, fold the sleeve into thirds, and hold in place using the sticky white circle on the sleeve. Otherwise, they are too long to fit into a small trash can.
    I like this tip! I've been folding mine in half and twisting.

Glad to hear it. It works nicely because the sleeve is semi-rigid, which enables it to stay in place when folded into thirds. Other brands can't do that. All the small stuff that saves time and space adds up.