Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Problems with Catheter Insertion

Is that a speedicath you are using? I tried the speedicath flex coude and was able to insert that better.
    Last edited by Mike_Stan; 02-24-2018 at 08:59 PM.

Yes. But it's straight tip not coude. Coloplast # A4351.

Does this catheter have the no touch strip so you don't touch the catheter while inserting?

No it does not. That was a main concern of mine and that is why I selected other brands before this one. But then I found out that one reason other brands have the sleeve is because their catheters are too flexible to insert with one hand. For other brands, you need to push the catheter from the top while guiding it from the bottom or else it may flex. Hence the sleeve or a glove is required. The spedicath is semi-rigid so you can insert it using only one hand at the top. It's good to have one hand free for other functions, like holding a urinal. With the other brands, you need a third hand for the urinal.

I keep thinking the more rigid the catheter the more trauma you will eventually cause to the urethra. Maybe I am wrong.
    Last edited by Mike_Stan; 02-26-2018 at 11:50 AM.

Those catheters are a little more rigid Mike but not that much stiffer than the red rubber latex catheters you are using. They shouldn't hurt your urethra.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike_Stan View Post
    I keep thinking the more rigid the catheter the more trauma you will eventually cause to the urethra. Maybe I am wrong.
    That's what I thought too at first. But it's the other way. The really soft ones don't pass easily and need more force, which is more potential trauma. These pass the easiest of all I tried... least micro-trauma. I can't see myself ever going back to the standard catheters. Hydrophilic are the best.
    Last edited by August West; 03-02-2018 at 05:19 PM.

I sampled a number of catheters this week. I used the speedicath flex coude, Cure hydrophollic and Cure regular catheter using Surgilube for lubricant. They all inserted better than the Red rubber catheters. The regular Cure catheter with Surgilube felt more slick than the hydrophillic when running my finger down the catheter. I'm not able to tell by sensation if one feels better than the other. I may go with the Cure regular for now.

to those with s/p caths - how much time do you have between pulling out the old catheter and putting in a new catheter before the stoma closes.
    C5/C6 Complete since 08/22/09

Quote Originally Posted by Mike_Stan View Post
    I sampled a number of catheters this week. I used the speedicath flex coude, Cure hydrophollic and Cure regular catheter using Surgilube for lubricant. They all inserted better than the Red rubber catheters. The regular Cure catheter with Surgilube felt more slick than the hydrophillic when running my finger down the catheter. I'm not able to tell by sensation if one feels better than the other. I may go with the Cure regular for now.
    Running your finger along the catheter is a different scenario than inserting it. The lube tends to bunch up and becomes relatively useless beyond the first couple inches. Hydrophilic doesn't have this problem. If you don't have sensation an alternate test is how much force is required.